Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Don't Throw Out Your Matchboxes

I saw this project on Laura Carson's blog "Artfully Musing" and I had to watch the video and make one. I didn't have store bought matchboxes but I had a die-cut one. (And... yes.... It is bigger then the store bought boxes.)   


The mirror is a frame die cut that I have that happened to be the right size. I added a piece of the fabulous mirror paper that Tim Holtz now has and it actually makes a pretty good mirror. I covered the die cut with gold foil before I cut it then I ran it through an embossing folder. I then painted it with magenta acrylic paint and wiped it away leaving some in the valleys.




The feet are some brass findings that I bent in half. (I also cut the loops off.) 



I have done the perfume bottles as charms for the necklaces that I make but this was a perfect opportunity to make some a little larger. (They are glued onto a head pin to keep it all straight and once they are dry I cut the headpin even with the top bead.) I printed the teeny tiny labels on my commuter. (YES.... I really do have too much time on my hands.) The trays that the bottles sit on are just brass frames that have a back to them instead of being open. The glasses and comb are charms that I snipped the loop off of with wire cutters. 

11 comments:

bobbie said...

FABULOUS!!! I love all the perfume bottles and other pretties on the top ~
Great job!

Createology said...

Excellent job and this is stunning. I saw Laura's and you really rocked this little dresser. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

Sue Young said...

Just REALly beautiful Val!!!
Wow!
You haven't lost your touch!

GrĂ¡inne said...

That's absolutely adorable!! Love how you did the mirror and the trays with the tiny perfume bottles. Totally great work. Suzanne

Tracie Dean said...

Beautifully done!
I love how you did the drawers and the perfume bottles are divine!!

Happy Crafting
Tracie
http://homeofthepurskey.blogspot.com

Mary Ann said...

Wonderful!!! I watched that video too but I don't have the stuff to make one yet:)

Artfully Musing said...

Fabulous job!!

CarolynPhi said...

Love, love, love those perfume bottles!!! And, of course, the whole thing is just gorgeous.

I think we enjoy making tiny, perfect little treasures, maybe because it takes us back to our childhood where all things were possible.

Carolyn

Beverly Sager said...

That is so gorgeous! And the little accoutrements on the top are just darling! I will be most happy to send you my mailing address... just sayin'...

Elena said...

You should publish a tutorial on how you make those perfume bottle charms Val. They are fabulous.

Timea said...

Hi.
Your little dresser is so pretty .
Amazing work !!!
enchantedolls.blogspot.co.uk