Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Little Bit Of Asia

These are both for the "asian" circle journal group that I belong to. The top set of pages are for Carla and the bottom set are for Daisy. Both of the main images came from a book that I found recently at a used book store that I passed on the way home from something. Below each set of pages are the details of what I did.


Click on the picture to see a larger view. 
1. The background for the right hand page was done with a stencil from Artist Cellar and a finger dauber with rubber stamp pigment ink. The background for the left hand page is japanese paper that I purchased online from The Paper Studio. (A very dangerous place to shop.) 
2. The acrylic piece on the right hand page is done by stamping the japanese maple image with Archival ink on some silver sticky back tape and then applying it to the back of the acrylic square. 
3. The japanese maple leaves are punched from card stock and then sprayed with some Starburst spray  from Lindy's Stamp Gang. 
4. The edges of all the elements and the pages themselves are rubbed along the edge with some Frayed Burlap Distress ink on a blending pad. 
5. The wooden bookmark I found and bought on eBay and I just added the tassel to the top using embroidery thread. 
6. The dragonfly charm was painted with new metal paint from Vintaj and then sanded back to reveal the silver underneath. 
7. The 2 asian symbols are punched from card stock and then glued over silver Josh paper. 

1. The paper for the mat around the image on the right hand page was also purchased from The Paper Studio and the gold wash paper was given to me by Elena during the Tim Holtz cruise.
2. The asian music sheet was from a book that I found on eBay and also includes the title of the book cover below that.
3. The cherry blossom border is a punched from white card stock and then colored with a finger dauber and pink pigment ink. I added the stamens with a black marker and the center of each flower has some Earth Elements sprinkled on them. (Very cool stuff!! It's like glitter but made from natural stuff like coffee , corn, grass, dried flowers, etc.)
4. The bamboo frame and dragon are both from stamped brass that I antiqued with a solution I have from my stained glass making days.

You may also notice on both of them that there is a red "kanji" square. It is a stamp that I purchased with my actual name on it from a company called Good Characters. Anyone can order a stamp that is personal to their name from this company which I think is very cool.

No comments: