Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Does Karma Exist?

I don't normally post things about what happens in my life unless it has something to do with art but something happened to me today that I am still flabbergasted by.

I was in the check out line at Meijer's... (you know the kind that you can do it yourself.) I was in the one that had no limit and the women in front of me was almost finished and once she was done scanning all of her items she went to the end and proceeded to bag her groceries. Now I bet all of you are thinking that is a normal thing to do but in the self serve line, especially the ones that have no item limit, there is a bar that can be placed across the catch basin at the end of the belt to allow one person to bag their groceries and the next person to scan their items without allowing groceries to get mixed up. She wasn't doing this so I asked her if she knew about the bar and how it would allow my groceries to stay separate from hers. Her reply was "Yeah I know and I am getting there!" Well she still proceeded to bag her groceries so I said "Let me help you" and I went to lower the bar and shove her items under it along the roller bars. She immediately got angry and jumped at her cart shoving it painfully into my hip and physically shoved me back by the shoulders and then slammed the bar back to it's staring position. She said I shouldn't touch her stuff and to get back like I was some criminal with a huge jar of poison that I was going to dump all over her food. I again said to her  that all I was asking her to do was to put the bar down so that I could start scanning my items. She said I was rude and that she wasn't going to "put the bar down" because I was demanding that she do things on my time and she had her own schedule. I again reached for the bar to put it across and she yanked it out of my hands again and slammed it back home all the while telling me to "get back and don't touch my stuff". (I didn't touch anything but the bar.) I beseechingly looked at the cashier and asked for her to do something. She was on the phone and looked like she was ignoring me. She neither look me in the eye or nodded her head to let me know she heard at all.

I stood there getting angrier by the minute while this women started to think it was some kind of game to see how angry she could get me. She would wave her hand at me like some little kid does very shyly and then when I would look over she would very slowly pick up an item and then hold it high in the air (she would make a face of disbelief and then smile very nastily) and eventually drop it into her bag below. Then wave again and slowly plunk another item in. I was of course very angry by now so I again asked to please put the bar down and when she (again) ignored me and slowly plunked another item in her bag. I turned around and said.... "fine, I'll just start scanning my items in anyways." Her reply was that if it hit the catch bin she would pack it her bag and take it home. So I went back and again grabbed the bar and went to put it down and at this point the unthinkable (at least to me anyways) happened. She actually slapped me!!!!! And I don't mean like a half push, half slap to get me to back up.... I mean she really slapped me hard. (My shoulder had a red handprint on it when I looked at it in the car later.) I was so shocked that all I could say was "really.... really.... you call this being courteous?" I say this now because earlier she had accused me of being rude and discourteous while she was holding her items high over the bag and slowly plunking them in. All the while she was doing the "plunking"she was saying mean things about how she was glad I was angry. She hoped that she was wasting my time.  She didn't care what she did to make my day miserable. She wasn't going to put the bar down because she wanted to make me wait. To top it all off... just before she plunked her last item in the bag she smiled at me very snidely and said "Have a nice day". All I could think to do or say is to "f@#$-off and quite being such a bitch." (But I so wanted to chase her into the parking lot and beat the ever lovin' crap out of her!)

What really made me angry about the whole incident is that everyone one that was in ear shot just stood there and watched it all. The 2 cashiers did nothing when all one of them had to do was walk over and place the bar down and ask her to move along. No manager arrived to break it up and make her stop the taunting. The two 20 something girls in the next line just stood there and snickered into their palms like they were back in high school watching the resident bully work over the nerd of the day.

After the women left the cashier actually had the nerve to come over and help bag my groceries. My reply was that I don't need her help to bag my items but I sure could have used it 10 minutes ago while I was being assaulted by some lunatic. Her reply was that she didn't want to get involved and she had called the manager to handle it.  (The manger never appeared even though it took me another 10 minutes to bag my groceries through tears of humiliation.) I said that if she had asked the women to put the bar down when the whole thing started that it all probably could have been avoided. Again no apology to me for this women having acted this way only her excuse that it wasn't her job.

My question about all of this is whatever happened to being a good person and doing the right thing for another human being? Are we all so scared to get involved that we just stand there and stare? As for me I will never just stand there and gawk ever again. I will speak up even if it means getting involved. No one was there for me and would hate for anyone else to feel the same. I really felt like I was back in high school being bullied and everyone was just watching and snickering.

Hopefully nothing like this ever happens to any of you and thanks for listening.... you all have such patience when I need to bitch about something.

AND......To the lunatic woman that shops at Meijer's..... I really hope that Karma exists and comes back around to bite you in the ass.

19 comments:

Rhissanna said...

She was clearly crazy. I mean, the-meds-aren't-working crazy and I'm really sorry you were humiliated like this. I doubt she would have treated the cashier any better but, yes, the manager should have been there very quickly, not least because the whole incident must have been recorded by CCTV.

Don't worry about karma. She'll probably get home just in time to find her husband in bed with her sister...

Robin said...

I truly believe what goes around comes around......sometimes it just takes longer than we would like. You took the high road and should be proud that you did.

Hugs,
Robin

prutsels said...

You would almost think you were punked! Sorry that happened to you, and I do believe in Karma, just wish I could nudge it along every now and then.

prutsels said...

Just another thought, you should be able to file a complaint if it was recorded. Someone needs to take responsibility for this.

bobbie said...

OMGosh!!! How awful for you!! And thank heavens it didn't escalate any further!
Good for you for taking the high road ~
Hugs ~~~

Judy said...

You are a bigger person than I am... I would have called the police and filed charges. My daughter had a violent experience at Meijers too What is this world coming to? ( now I sound like my mother...lol) Sorry that had to happen to you.
Judy

artbywendy said...

That is horrible! I can't believe that actually happened and no one said anything! I also believe in karma so...someday she will get whats coming to her! ( I just wish you could be there to see it!)

Joanne said...

Well for one, I would make an official complaint, I would contact a newspaper or tv programme and tell them the situation re that store and I would never go there again. I had some verbal abuse this week from someone you would never expect to be so rude. I have severed all contact with them. You go girl and continue to stand up for your rights, after all, that's what you are - RIGHT.
Hugs Joanne xx

Penny Duncan said...

That is BEYOND UNACCEPTABLE!!! I would have went off!!!! I'm so ashamed of all the people around you...and the clerks should be punished at minimal and fired at most......I would SO write a letter to the company and tell them they need to pull their security videos out and WATCH the assault...that is so wrong wrong wrong wrong......You showed so much more integrity and grace and manners then I would have!!!!!!!

Claudine C. said...

So sorry this happened to you Val, it sounds just awful and I'm sure you really could have used some help by the manager. I certainly would have stepped in if I had been there. I don't tolerate people like this very well and I certainly would not stand there while someone treated another person like that. It's just ridiculous the way some people act now a days. I wonder sometimes if they grew up in a barn and their parents never paid them any mind or what. Again, I'm sorry this happened but hopefully one day she will realize that she is being very childish and it was just stupid of her to act like a fool.

linda from arizona said...

I would have called the police and have her arrested for assault. You certainly had plenty of witnesses. then I would write to the main headquarters and tell them what happened and that no store employee helped you.
Wow, what a rotten day you had! Luckily each new day is the first day of your life so things will get better. Find another store to shop in. Why give them your money?

Cindy-Up In Northern Michigan said...

I truly believe that our society has gone so far into this craziness and selfishness that I wonder if it can ever recover. All these reality shows people watch ENCOURAGE this type of behavior. It's shameful! More importantly however is how the store handled it....terribly. You should have stopped at the first altercation and demanded that the cashier bring the manager...even if you would have had to leave your groceries and march over to the service desk. There is no excuse for any store employee to stand back and watch something this violent occur and do nothing! As for the other people standing there and doing nothing but snicker...again, see my point about reality shows. I think you should write a letter to the store manager, district manager and home office. They need to make sure something like this never happens again. (and I think that with our sue-happy society they should)Valerie, you have more class and courtesy than any of the people in that store. I don't know about Karma, but I DO KNOW that God is our vindicator and he will bring justice, either in this world or the next. Remember, your creative friends (even if they are ones you never meet in person) think you are the greatest! Hold your head high.

Constance said...

Were you reacting? Or, responding? Some people feed off of the negative energy that's generated by anger. This woman clearly pissed you off, and the more angry you got, the more stuff she did to make you angry. If anyone slaps me, EVER, they are going to jail for assault. Smart aleck remarks and snide comments are one thing. Physical assault is another. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Be assured, she'll get hers somewhere down the road.

smokeysmom said...

Sounds like the woman was crazy or deranged, so probably best to let her go on her evil way. I think the store staff was aware of this particular person and chose to not get involved. Yes, Karma will catch up with her nasty ass, so don't even waste your time thinking it over. Hugs sweetie:)

Ratty Hugs said...

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Just one more reason I don't self check. I pay those high grocery prices for service too, make the staff work. I would have made a formal complaint about the staff, at the store level & at the corporate level. Also filed police charges and taken all my business to another store. Let all your friends know of this event & ask them to boycott the store. It may not always work but hitting a business in their pocket is a good form of protest.
Remember that Karma does come round, though not always as fast as we would like it to.
Peace, ~C8>

Daniele said...

well what can you say about the dreadful woman other than I hope she tosses and turns all night when her conscience finally bites her in the bum. Its a shame that society is turning out this way and its everywhere now, everyone turns away as they don't want to get involved thank goodness for people like you
hugs

Anita said...

If Karma exists she is already experiencing it. Can you imagine how awful it must be to be filled with such hatred. I get shaken by mean people but always realize how fortunate I am not to be suffering like that. I would write the manager ...send him this blog post...and would take my business elsewhere. You were assaulted on so many levels. I am sure you were in a bit of shock about being slapped but I think it would have been good of you to have filed a complaint with the police. If she will do that to a stranger in front of several witnesses just think about what she does to others. If I were you I would just thank God that her head didn't start spinning around...HUGS

kate y. said...

Clearly this was assult and the police should be called either by you or the store manager. When society accepts bad behavior, bad behavior continues unfortunately for the people who expect civil behavior from others.
It's not too late to file charges.
Good luck!

Juliet A said...

The first thing that occurred to me was to do what teenage girls do - take a picture/video with your phone and giggle as you upload it to facebook or maybe even youtube(or at least, look like that is what you are doing). I find that shuts down almost everything rude that people do. Just something to keep in mind for next time.