Friday, April 13, 2012

Been Busy Book Binding



This is a new class I will be teaching at a local store called Stampeddler Plus in downtown Northville, Michigan. I took a traditional book binding class a few months ago and I loved it but I hated the fact that the beautiful stitching I spent an hour doing was completely covered by the spine of the book. I had seen other exposed bindings and when I went on the web I found plenty that looked exactly like this. What I did to jazz up the inside of the book was to use all kinds of double-sided scrapbooking paper. I then sprayed with mica sprays and stenciled and stamped with rubber-stamp ink. The art journal is meant to be written in or have all kinds of art added to the pages. Below is a slide show of some of the inner pages. 



I started with 12" x 12" paper and on some of them I folded up the bottom ( to make a pocket) before I folded and cut the pages. On some of the pages that I sprayed with mica sprays I didn't want to waste the spray left on the stencil so I flipped it over onto another page to essentially "stamp" the image. The final size of this journal is 5" x 7.5"







This one is actually the first book I made to take to the Key Largo retreat. I didn't put anything in it at the retreat so now I just keep it on my work table and when I have scraps from a project that don't get used they get added to this journal. 

 I took the covers off of an old Reader's Digest that I got from Rob's dad. (It has to be from sometime in the 50's or 60's.) Once again I used all kinds of scrapbooking paper which even included a lot of paper that I got from when I was in Club Scrap. (Stuff that has sat untouched for years because it was too beautiful for me to bear using.) The black and white ribbon is some antique stuff from my special stash. It was so old and fragile that I had to sew it to some stiff buckram to keep it from tearing. Below is a slide show of some of the pages.



I have a couple more of these books to share but the box of goodies arrived from Key Largo yesterday and I am dying to get busy on finishing up a few projects that weren't completed while I was there. Don't worry I promise to share those too. 

8 comments:

Sim said...

Hooooooo Valerie, this is a so awesome work! I'm bluffed! :) What wonderful books! Are you used to sail them?

bobbie said...

These are wonderful!! I love how you used the sprays & the templates; and the binding is gorgeous!

Myrna said...

This is an awfully pretty journal. I have looked and looked at it over and over. Love it.
Myrna

Susan King said...

Very yummy! They'd make great Smash books.

Elizabeth said...

I live in Waterford and would love to know more about your class in Northville. When and where.

Valerie B. said...

The store is called Stampeddler Plus in Northville. The newsletter with the class times are not posted yet but if you call the store they be able to put you on a list.

Ildiko said...

OMGOODNES Valerie, it's been a long time I've been here and I'm speechless, this is AWESOME, I leave the other side of the pond so for me no way I can attend your class boo-hoo. Is there any way you can do a tutorial or point me in the right directions where do I find tutorial abt this on-line.
I've just used one of your digi paper, http://feherhattyu.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/something-new.html
Hugs
Ildiko

Lululiz said...

FABULOUS! I wish we had classes which taught this sort of thing over here, sigh ( UK / France ).