Thursday, February 2, 2012

Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
BOY.... that title is a mouth full. This is another set of pages for the circle journal group I belong to called Artistic Evolutions. The journal evolves from the previous artists ideas and also has an edge treatment that will show on the next artists pages. These pages are for Alison Brandist who is from the UK. Alison did an extra evolution on her journal where she assigned colors for each artist to use. It evolves in a way that each set of pages drops one of the four colors and has a new one added. (My colors were lime green, red, dark brown and cream.) The previous pages were in a travel theme so I immediately went to vintage airplanes. I've always had a fascination with the very early ones that actually looked like birds wings and while cruising the Google Patent site I came across some very cool patent images.


Here are the 2 patent designs that I worked from. The first one has a portion of the image already cleaned up and posted on a previous entry for the Steampunk/Zetti characters. (Click here to see it.) The bottom one I discovered photos of on another blog that I have since spent hours perusing. It's called "Dark Roasted Blend: Weird & Wonderful Things". Below are the photos I saw on the sight and you can click here to see the rest of the flying machines. I really wanted to do a version of this set of wings in a transparent material but I couldn't come up with anything that I liked and wasn't too shiny and new looking. (I am still curious as to what was actually used back then since the patent was dated 1927.) Anyways it's very cool and I hope to someday create a set of wings based on it that would be around 2 feet long. 



No comments: