Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Moment Of Zen

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

This is another set of pages for one of the circle journal groups I belong to. The group is called "A Little Bit Of Asia" and of course the theme is all things asian. These pages are for Elena who is the owner of the groups and also has the wonderful Key Largo retreat for us every year. 

She asked that all of her pages have a black border on them and I do believe it really makes the artwork stand out. The details are below.

1. I started the background on heavy watercolor paper and achieved the dark blue color by rubbing Distress Stains in Stormy Sky and Chipped Sapphire. While it was still wet I sprayed some Glitz Spritz from Lindy's Stamp Gang in Royal Peacock Fire all over the page to give it a turquoise metallic sparkle when you tilted the page. (It doesn't show up in the photo at all.) 
2. The stencils were from Artists Cellar, and some mini punchinella. (The leaf swirls I can't remember where I got them from. I just used a finger dauber and rubberstamp ink to make the designs. I then colored the leaf swirls over with a "starlight" gel pen. (It's a clear pale gold glitter.) 
3. The images were both printed from my computer and then colored with pencils to make them a little brighter. The final touch was to go around each image after it was glued down with 3 tones of gray brush markers to make a shadow. 

3 comments:

Rhissanna said...

This is really very pretty. Yes, the black does make the colours look more saturated.

Arlene said...

Marvelous. Beautiful colors and I love the images.

Sue Young said...

Love this Val. Simply elegant!