Monday, December 12, 2011

Cookie Baking Day

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
Every year before Christmas my sister, my mom and myself get together and spend the day baking Christmas cookies. They come over at about 9am and we just finished today at about 4:30pm. We each back certain "requested" cookies every year and then try to make one or two new ones if we can. The problem now is that there are too many requests/demands and not enough time or energy to make any new ones. 

In the end we box them all up in Christmas cookie tins and give most of them away to people that do things in our lives that we appreciate. This year they will go to my manicurist, my hairdresser, my mail lady, the people that wait on us at a place called Toast where we have breakfast every Saturday, and my Dr. It may not seem like much to you for me to give these cookies to people but let me tell you it has assured that my nails look fabulous, my hair is perfect, my mail gets handled more carefully, the waitstaff knows what we drink and has it on the table 2 seconds after we sit down and my Dr. always seems like he is in less of a rush to get me out the door.



My requested cookie every year, without fail, is my pecan tarts. (I hate to see the anarchy that would occur if I didn't do them one year.) I actually make a quadruple batch and it never seems like it's enough. 
I also usually do a 7 layer cookie or sometimes it is called a "dream bar" but this year my mom bought evaporate milk instead of sweetened condensed milk so I let her use my one can for her coconut drop cookies which is her requested cookie ever year. 


My sister list of requested cookie seems like a long one so she actually baked 4 cookies before she even got to my house. Buck-Eyes, Lemon bars, Kisses Drop Cookies, Blonde Snickers cookies and fudge bars. She also made Baklava and some Orange Ice box cookies.



My mom made some Snickerdoodles like she does every year but the cookies are the flattest darn things I have ever seen. The usually are a nice rounded little cookie but she has an incident with those darn things every year for the past 5 or 6 years. (3 of those years it was forgetting to bring the Cream of Tartar which is essential to Snickerdoodles.) Coincidentally my sister and I each have about 3 bottles of the darn stuff. She also made some Creme de-Menthe Chocolate chip cookie which I think are a keeper. 


Here is my regular old Toll House Chocolate chip cookies right off the back of the bag. I added some Heath toffee bits this time and boy are they good. 

YUP... these are the famous, renowned, totally awesome pecan tarts. Believe me when I say they are as good as they look. (I am munching a couple right now as I type......Sorry about all the crumbs.) 

Each year I also make the sugar cookies and then we all decorate them the last thing of the day because we really just want to sit down for a while. 


These are the new cookies I tried this year which I am sure all of you have heard of called Russian Teacakes. My husband has been requesting them for a few years but I never had a recipe. (Plus I don't really care for them.) Well about a week ago I was at an estate sale and I found an old cook book from the 40's. I bought it because it had cool images in it that I could use for my art. well inside I found a whole mess of hand written recipes and one of them was for Russian Teacakes. According to him they are perfect .... but I still don't see why he loves them so much. 


This is the one funny photo that someone always seems to snap every year. Most of the time it is a picture of my butt with 2 hand prints in flour on each cheek. (One year was my chocolate fudge that ended up looking like piles of reindeer poop.) This year the honors go to my mom who kept spilling and splattering herself through out the day. One was due to pulling the beaters out of the mixing bowl while they were still going. Thanks mom..... I'm sure I'll be finding flakes of coconut with condensed milk glued to the ceiling and in secret crevices for years to come. 



13 comments:

B. said...

what a great day. thank you so much for sharing. truly, makes me all happy inside.

B.

Janet Ghio said...

Boy! I wish I was at your house!! I remember all your cookie baking photos from last year! Yum! Also, Thanks for all the wonderful vintage images you provide for us to use all year long!

Electra said...

From the looks of all these goodies, I'd say stuff stuck to the ceiling is a small price to pay! lol

Joke said...

Wow, What a fantastic Christmas cookies.
Ik like to have the recipes!Are they secret?
I love baking cookies.

Carol said...

We're doing the same thing here today!

Anne said...

Thanks for all the great images you post for us! Any chance you might share/post the recipe for your famous pecan tarts? I always prefer recipes from trusted sources,rather than taking a chance on a random download.

Lizbethem said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful cookie baking day! How lovely to get your mother and sister together. There will be more than enough for all those people you give to, I think!

Sue Young said...

I love seeing your cookies every year! what a fun tradition! I can smell them from here!!!!!

Ann said...

oh,goodness...what a marvelous day you had!!
i can see why your cookies are requested..and i think they are a wonderful gift...anyone can buy a sweater or gift card,but when someone takes the time to give of themselves and their talent,knowing each was made with love..now there is a gift !!!
wish i lived close by..i'd polish your nails..not well,but i'd give it a good try..just for 1 cookie!!!
happy holidays!!
ho-ho-ho !!!

Ratty Hugs said...

That's a lot of cookies. I used to bake alot but have switched over to fudge. So many flavors so little time.
You said that Mom's Snickerdoodles have failed for a few years now. Since Cream of Tartar is what sets these cookies apart, the flat cookie issue may be one of old Cream of Tartar. I have found my fudge recipe needs it & I always buy new each year. Check out the bulk foods & spices areas in your stores. They get switched out alot faster than home use Cream of Tartar does. HTH
Thank you for many years of wonderful blog reading.
~C8>

Ratty Hugs said...

That's a lot of cookies. I used to bake alot but have switched over to fudge. So many flavors so little time.
You said that Mom's Snickerdoodles have failed for a few years now. Since Cream of Tartar is what sets these cookies apart, the flat cookie issue may be one of old Cream of Tartar. I have found my fudge recipe needs it & I always buy new each year. Check out the bulk foods & spices areas in your stores. They get switched out alot faster than home use Cream of Tartar does. HTH
Thank you for many years of wonderful blog reading.
~C8>

Shannah said...

Totally fabulous!! I loved reading this! Sounds like a wonderful tradition - think I might try and hook my Mum and Auntie into something like this (just to see them try and bake!!) Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
Hugs, Shannah

Kelley said...

What a fun day! I really wish you would share more than the crumbs of the pecan tarts. And I'm with your husband on the Russian Teacakes. :)