Sunday, November 20, 2011

Wise Old Bird

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
I finished these pages last week but I didn't post them right away because I don't like to pile too many posts up all in one day. These are for one of the circle journal groups I belong to called Artistic Evolution and they are for Eileen Bellomo's book. The previous page and really the whole journal has been based on the theme started from the first artist of using "eyes" and "eye glasses" for "Eye-leen". (Get it?) Sarah had used the game "I spy with my little eye" and had a whole bunch of images one of which was an owl. That made me think of the poem that I included with my artwork so I got busy making my little hooter.

Here are the details.

1. The background is done on heavy watercolor paper with Distress Stains. I just love these bottles of color and usually reach for them first when I start doing a background. To make it look more spattered I took a paint brush and threw clear water at the page and let it set for a few seconds then blotted it up with a paper towel. (The background color needs to be dry first.)

2. The owl is made of various die cut parts and punched pieces from the huge collection that I have of both. The edge of the page is also an over the edge die cut by Tim Holtz. I added the glasses to him at the last moment so that he would blend better with all the previous pages that had eyeglasses on them. (It is simply made of some 20 gauge gold wire.)

2 comments:

Suze Bain said...

Your wise old owl is just fabulous. xx

Lotus said...

Sweet owl! What a fun idea for the journal! I love the way each page plays on the previous ones!
Excellent that you constructed the owl.
Lotus