Thursday, November 3, 2011

Now It's Done

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

Yesterday I posted photos of what was on my worktable so I thought I would post some more photos of the completed dogwood blossoms project for McGill. I took a regular 8" x 10" artists canvas and tore a hole through it after I backed it with an old german book page. (I love the old english font that was used.) I rubbed the edges with Frayed Burlap distress ink and then a little Walnut Ink to really get a dark edge. I backed the opening with a piece of chipboard that I made look like a stone wall. To do that I had a brass embossing stencil that I smeared stencil paste through, lifted it off, and then painted with acrylic paint. (I glued 2 layers of chipboard in between to leave a gap between the canvas and the stone wall.) The branch itself is made from a regular old lunch bag which I smeared with glue then twisted into a "rope". To color it I simply rubber Vintage Photo Distress ink over it while it was still wet. (You have to do it before the glue dries or you end up with spots that won't color because the ink won't color the dried glue.) The flowers are made with the Paper blossom punches from McGill according to their directions on their site.

13 comments:

Sewn Seabee said...

So COOL! My Dh is from Paducah and they have a Dogwood Festivl every year. Wish I were this creative!

Karenliz said...

WOW! Absolutely stunning! I love it.

Joanne said...

I knew I would like this but I don't - I LOVE IT TO BITS. You are so clever and I want it.....
Hugs Joanne xx

Lululiz said...

Fabulous piece, very cleverly done.

Heavens2Betsy said...

This is sensational. Beautiful creation. penny

Paper Squirrel said...

I love this...so COOL how you made the branch "break through" the canvas and the brick behind.

Helen Campbell said...

Wow, that is awesome!

Rhissanna said...

Oh my, so pretty. I need to learn how to make those little flowers, too.

Linda Wareham said...

Oh wow! It's totally gorgeous, and what a brilliant idea.

Penny Duncan Creations said...

That is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!!!! You've done an exquisite job on this!!!

smokeysmom said...

OMG Valerie! This is just amazing! Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! This turned out so well you've given me some ideas for my future projects with canvas. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing:)

Melody (lacyquilter) said...

This is really gorgeous. You are braver than I am to rip a hole in your canvas.

Helena said...

What a beautiful piece of art! Truly lovely and thank you for telling about the process. Really impressive creativity!