Click on the picture to see a larger view.
1. The background is done on heavy watercolor paper and I washed both pages with a layer of Distress Stain in Crushed Concord with a little bit of the new color Seedless Preserves swiped over it in various spots. I then rubbed on more Crushed Concord to get a deep purple color and sprayed a little water on it to get it to bleed a little. I then sprinkled course sea salt over the middle in a sweeping curve to show the flight of the fairy. Once it was dry I wanted to make the salted area more pronounced so I splattered Picket Fence Distress Stain over it and then blotted it lightly with a paper towel.
2. I also added more color by using various stencils and a finger dauber tapped onto a pigment ink pad. (I used the colors eggplant, hyacinth, white and deep rose.)
3. To give the background a little more sparkle I used a technique that I learned from my recent classes in Chicago at the CREATE Mixed Media retreat. I sprinkled some Bo-Nash powdered adhesive over the pages and then ironed it covered with a no stick sheet. Then I took a lime green foil sheet and ironed that over the adhesive powder. When you peel it up the foil only adheres to the glue particles making it look like it was splashed on the page.
4. The wings of the fairy were printed on an ink jet transparency and then backed with some Whisper ribbon by running it through my Xyron. (It is this thin, bubbled iridescent film like Angelina film.) I did the same to all the butterflies on the edge of the same page.
5. The images were all found o the internet from various sources and I simply printed them on matte brochure paper then fussy cut them out. To make some of the images stand out I took a small brush and washed Black Soot Distress Stain around them. The wonderful thing about Distress Stain is that since it is reactive with water you can go back even after it's dry and feather it out more with a damp brush.
5. The title is cut from Sizzix alphabets dies called Rat-A-Tat and Fancy Brush.