Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This week and part of last week I have been working on tags for a fabric journal swap that I am doing for 2 different groups. (Apparently one was not enough.) One group is doing tags that use anything Tim Holtz to decorate the tags and the other group is doing a dress form/ Paris theme. It seems the CREATE convention has renewed my love of fabric so I just had to dive in with both feet again. So once I joined this swap I headed over to Joann's to rifle through the remnant bins and low and behold they were having a sale. (50% off of the remnants which were already 50% off.) Of course I couldn't pass up all those expensive and lovely upholstery fabrics which I absolutely adore so I came home with 2 bags full.
Here's a close-up of the tag I am working on for the Tim Group. (1 cut 2 and sometimes 4 pieces of each fabric so that is why there are multiple tags.)
Here is my "guest table" which has all the finished tags packaged in neat little bags with their lace and background fabric ready to be sent to each participant. (There are 15 people in each of the 2 groups.) Once everyone receives all their fabric, lace and tags they will sew the fabric into a book and attach the lace down the side of the page and glue each tag onto the fabric. Below are close-up's of the packaged tags.
I hand stenciled the fabric with a damask design since the fabric was kinda boring. (I also hand dyed the lace to match using Tim Holtz new Distress Stains.) The tag background was done using a technique from Julie Fei-Fan Balzer's class at the CREATE convention.
The fabric made these cool little tassels when I tore them to size so I just left it. The trim is hand dyed with the Distress Stains. The dress forms skirts is made from cheese clothe that I hand dyed with more Distress Stain.
The wings on the heart are made from Angelina fiber and then die cut with a Tim Holtz die. The inside of the heart is covered with a crinkled gold paper then colored with alcohol ink and then a layer of Rock Candy crackle paint. The tag is colored using the same technique as the first tag which is from Julie's class at CREATE.
I think this is my favorite tag/color combo. The lace is again hand dyed with Distress Stain and the tag is colored with it as well. The hearts that dangle from the bottom are cut with a Tim Holtz die from shrink plastic and colored with alcohol ink before they were shrunk. (Note: To keep the alcohol ink colors from becoming too dark when the plastic shrinks I mixed the new Snow Cap mixative in with them to lighten them up.) The wings are again done with Angelina fibers and then die cut. The outer part of the heart was covered with more of the crinkled gold paper. I then colored it with alcohol ink again but this time I mixed in some mica glitter to the Diamond Glaze before I coated the heart. (The same is done to the inner part of the heart but I left the gold paper it's original color.)
I hand colored the lace again with Distress Stain. (LOVE that the stuff makes it so easy.) The rose is made from Grunge paper that was cut and run through an embossing folder and then colored with Distress Ink on a foam blending pad.
The lace was again hand dyed but this time I used some Dr. Martin's calligraphy ink because it was a metallic gold and very fluid. (That way the lace did not become stiff after it dried.) I added a gear to the center of each crocheted circle with a brad. I also hand stenciled the fabric because I wanted some more color and the added design of more circle added to the steam punk feel. The tag background was done by stamping a manila tag and then embossing with clear powder. I then colored it with Distress Ink on a foam blending pad and then used a clean sheet of scrap paper to iron off the clear embossing powder. The larger gear is distressed by sprinkling some Bo-Nash powder on it and then ironing on some copper foil. (The powder is a heat activated glue which the foil will stick to when ironed over.)