Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Little Bit Of Asia

Click on the picture to see a larger view. 
It may come as no surprise to many of you but I am starting another circle journal with my regular group of ladies. This time the theme is "A Little Bit of Asia". I mean, who doesn't love asian designs and calligraphy. As usual we all make our own covers/book and then decorate the first page. It then gets mailed on to the next person who does a double page spread and then in turn mails it on. 


I decided to try something that I have always been fascinated with and since it looks very asian I thought this was the perfect time to learn how to do it. It's called a piano hinge binding and is actually very simple to do even though it looks pretty complicated. I originally wanted to use a bunch of fancy chopsticks that I have been collecting but the tapered shape of them didn't let the binding sit right so I went back to the regular bamboo skewers that are usually used for this binding. 

Rather then leave the white of the watercolor paper showing on the spine I covered the hinge part with torn strips of asian book pages. Here you can see how they show in the inside of the pages. Each artist may choose to let them show on their pages or decide to cover them up. 



This last picture is of the inside cover which actually attaches the covers to the pages of the book. Most of the tutorials I found that showed this technique did not even attach covers but I figured my book would stand up to being worked in a little better if it had one. As you can see I still haven't decorated the first page yet but I still have time since the project starts in October. 



10 comments:

Socrates said...

Totally amazing. It is gorgeous. Adding that paper for the hinge is a stroke of genius, it looks fabulous. It's a treasure already, and it's empty!!!! My o My!

Elena said...

As always my friend, your work is gorgeous!

Eileen said...

Fabulous! Makes me kinda wish we were starting sooner....can't wait to see that binding up close.
xoxo

Georgie Horn said...

Oh, how cool to start a circle and get a finished project. Aren't you clever!

Lillian Mederak said...

its a beauty Val
cant wAIT to see and touch it
Its gorgeous!!!!
Lillian
http://www.canadianscraptramp.blogspot.com/
check out my new group.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixedmediaart/

lee said...

OMG thats AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS!
Lee

Sue Young said...

Really really gorgeous Val!!
Have any good Chinese food lately?!? LOL

teri said...

This is beautiful. I've always wanted to try one but haven't attempted it yet -- so you have inspired me.

craftyM said...

Beautiful....

Patzee said...

What a beauty! Love the serenity of the inside cover.