Friday, September 2, 2011

CREATE Mixed Media Retreat

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This was another of my favorite classes and it was called "Fragile Fusion Mixed Media Journal" and it was taught by Rebekah Meier's. NO.... this is not my finished book but rather one of the class samples that I will aspire to achieve.





 These are the rest of the pages inside this wonderful little book. (It measured about 7" or 8" square.) The pages are made on a double sided fusible webbing sheet. You start by cutting up napkins and tissue paper to cover the sheet then iron it all down. Let me tell you that the sheet was covered using very brightly colored stuff. You can mix and match all kinds of patterns and colors because in the next step you paint it with a wash of watered down white paint. (If you wanted to keep some of the bright colors she suggested using a gold metallic wash instead.) From there it is layering stenciled and stamped images  then more paint to tone it down. The last layer is using some Angelina fibers and film and Bo-Nash glue powder with gold foil.


Here's the cover for my book when I eventually get it finished. It is painted on something called "Timtex" which I have never heard of. I think it is some kind of very thick batting or stiff underlayment to sew on. It is about 1/4" thick and just sucks up the paint. 


Here is the only page I finished in class and believe me when I say the photos do not do justice to any of these pieces. The subtle layers and sparkle of all the metallics really don't show up well at all. 




Here is another one of the class samples and a couple of the inside pages. She also did another class that taught doing art collage quilts that I wished I had taken. Just so many classes that were only offered once it was so hard to choose which one to take at a certain time. I definitely plan on going next year since it was so easy to drive there.

3 comments:

Tante K├Ąthe said...

Stunning, I do love mixed media creations. I wish I knew more about it.

Have a great weekend!

Majo

Electra said...

Wow, these are gorgeous!

Createology said...

This is truly beautiful. Your pages are amazing with the colors and details. Safe Labor Holiday weekend...