Sunday, September 18, 2011

Charmed I'm Sure

Click on the picture to see a larger view.


These little beauties are for a charm swap on a new group that I belong to. It's a Mixed Media art group run by my friend Lillian in Canada. You may recognize the one bird from the charms I made to swap on the Tim Holtz cruise I am going on a week from today. The others are a technique I learned from Deb at the CREATE convention in Chicago. (Thanks Deb!)

To make them is super easy and the photos do not do them justice at all.

1. You start with some Angelina Fiber & Film and make a bunch of sandwiched layers then iron them together. (I make the fused sheets about 2" to 3" wide by about 5" long which is the width of the film rolls.)

2. Once I have a bunch of fused sheets to select from I cuts small strips from each one. (About 1/16" to 1/4" wide is all you need.)

3. Cut a small sheet of red liner tape about 2" wide by about 3.5" long and peel off one side of the backing paper.

4. Take the strips you cut from your fused sheets and lay them next to each other until you have covered the whole sheet of red liner tape.

5. Cut and shrink various sizes of shrink plastic to form charm shapes. I used a 2" square for mine and used a corner punch to round the corners. (Be sure and punch a hole to hang them before you shrink the plastic.) You can also use die cuts or punches to cut your shapes but remember to use simple ones because you have to trim the fused sheets to the shapes with small scissors. (Around 2" to 3" is a good size to use for the charms before they are shrunk.)

6. Once the plastic is shrunk down you peel off the other side of release paper from the fused sheets and stick it down to the plastic. Then using a very small but sharp pair of scissors trim around the shrink plastic cutting off the excess. (I use the smallest hole in a Japanese hole punch to cut the hole out. I then take a very small embossing stylus to push through the hole to open it more.)

7. This step is optional but I find it helps to adhere all the loose ends that may have popped up when I cut the fused sheets into strips. I take the charms back to my ironing board and put a no-stick sheet over them and iron them again using the tip of the iron. It helps to fuse the strips next to each other and make the top of the charm smoother.

6 comments:

Createology said...

Your charms are beautiful. They look a lot more complicated than you describe. Happy swapping...

Shaik said...

You are the most creative person ever, You have posted absolutely beautiful article.... Shelly great!


Sample forms

debbie w. said...

I am so glad to see you followed up on making charms with the Angelina and Fantasy Film! I love they way yours look! Did you use black shrink plastic or frosted as the backing? And what a good idea to give them a "finishing iron", I will have to do that on my next batch.

debbie w. said...

I am so glad to see you followed up on making charms with the Angelina and Fantasy Film! I love they way yours look! Did you use black shrink plastic or frosted as the backing? And what a good idea to give them a "finishing iron", I will have to do that on my next batch.

debbie w. said...

I am so glad to see you followed up on making charms with the Angelina and Fantasy Film! I love they way yours look! Did you use black shrink plastic or frosted as the backing? And what a good idea to give them a "finishing iron", I will have to do that on my next batch.

Valerie B. said...

I don't have your email Debbie but to answer your question.... I used black on some of the charms and white on the others. (The close-up photo shows one on black.) I think I like the white shrink plastic better because it the film show up much brighter.