Monday, August 29, 2011

Exhausted, Cut, Bruised & Happy

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
Well I'm back from my 5 days of creative bliss. As you can see from the title of this post I am totally exhausted, got 3 cuts from various classes, (notice the bandage on my finger in the photo below) many bruises on my arms, and a badly burned tongue from dinner at a local chinese restaurant. (More on that later.) Because of all my mishaps I fell in love with this found object sculpture that another artist had for sale at the Friday night Artists Faire. When I saw him he just made me laugh and he is now my "patron saint" of boo-boos. The name given to him by the artist is "Bandage Boy".  (How appropriate is that?)



 This photo is from my second class called "Fragile Fusion Mixed Media Journal" which was taught by Rebekah Meier. Here I am happily gessoing the front cover of my journal to let it dry while I am at lunch. We combined tissue paper, and napkin layers to iron-on fusible webbing to create these beautifully soft pages for a journal.



This is a partially finished page from this class. There is still layers of stamping, more paint, more stenciling, Angelina fibers and foil to be added to this one.  I thought I took a photo of the one page I actually finished but apparently I didn't. (Don't worry.... once I unpack and put things away I will find it and take a photo.)



This selection of fine feathered friends is from a class I took called "Birds Gone Wild" which was taught by the lovely Leighanna Light. (See if you can guess which one is mine.) We were to bring all kinds of found metal objects and then got busy cutting and attaching stuff to make our menagerie. (Oddly enough this is not the class that I got cut in.) 



This wonderful collection was brought by my neighboring classmate, Debbie, who was also from Michigan. When she walked in burdened with 2 suitcases of stuff I just had to know what was in them. 



This collection of metal books and cards were the teachers samples for another couple of classes she was teaching. Our "Birds Gone Wild" class was probably my favorite and had a wonderful energy the whole time we were working. The sound of pounding, drilling, and banging metal brought many students in to peek at what we were doing so there was a constant flow of excitement coming and going with everyone that came in. 



This is a lovely book made by Leighanna's significant other Thomas Ashburn. I was lucky enough to take a class from him too but not on how to learn to make the above book. The class was called "Charming Sheet Metal Pendants" and was a blast also. 


I know you are probably dying to see more of what I did and I am surely anxious to show you. Right now I have to unpack, and find more of the finished projects that I did so I can photograph them. Unfortunately some of them are not finished so you may have to wait a few days or more before I can finish them and post them. For now I decided to post these few images to give you a taste of what I experienced. 



11 comments:

Karenliz said...

The classes look like so much fun! I can't wait to see your creations!

Barbara DeLisle said...

These are all so wonderful-I wish I could be there to make these fantastic things.

bobbie said...

I'm glad you got home in (relatively) one piece!! can't wait to see more of your goodies!

ann said...

Oh wow some fantastic projects I adore the book !!!!

Claudine C. said...

Can't wait to see more Val. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, besides the cuts and burned tounge, ouch!! I love the birds too they are great.

Paula said...

Welcome back, Valerie! Sorry about all of the boo-boos. Okay, I am going to guess that you created the white and silver bird ... they are all lovely. Though you know how much I adore my feathered friends! :))

donna!ee said...

just looking at that smile of yours, you had a blast! :)

genagirl said...

Those are smashing!!! I love this look.

ArtZhodgepodge said...

Wasn't it great. Loved bumping into you on the elevator. Now have a face to put to your site. Can't wait to see what else you created.

Eileen said...

I am so tempted to do CREATE next year after seeing your projects...and a couple of blogs from others who went. Love love love all the metal projects.
xoxo

FILIGREE MOON said...

Fabulous! Looks like so much fun!