Wednesday, August 31, 2011

CREATE Mixed Media Retreat

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
Sorry I didn't post any more pictures of the retreat yesterday but I was trying to do some more unpacking. I also wanted to finish my book from the first class that I took there. It was called "Binding The Unbindable"  and it was taught by the lovely Bianca Mandity. In this class we learned how to incorporate unusual things as book pages. Stuff like an old 45 record, a bamboo placemat, a board game board, computer chips, packaging plastic, a piece of metal, etc. Anything that you can't fold to make a page out of could potentially be used with the type of binding she showed us. It is a simple coptic stitch but the secret is that you make your actual page only about an inch wide. You then glue the object between the folded strip and it becomes a decorative element of the page. (I know it sound confusing but you'll see what I mean when you look at the rest of the pictures.)

P.S. This is the class that I sliced my index finger pretty good. I forgot I had a sheet of aluminum in my paper file and I reached in forgetting all about it and cut myself really good.


Here is the finished cover of the book. I started with an old Reader's Digest (condensed version) from the 50's. I had a bunch from when hubby's father passed away and we cleaned out his condo and they all had wonderful printed covers under the ugly dust jackets.


Here's a close-up of the binding stitch. You can see that we cut away the original binding and just used the covers. We used plain old duct tape to cover the cut edge since it now comes in all those amazingly wonderful colors and is so much cheaper then book binding tape.


Here is the first page and I actually had it finished in class and glued into the book. When I started I didn't have a theme in mind but I knew I wanted it to be something using games and numbers. When I went to finish it here at home I continued with that but added the "play on words" aspect of it. Notice it says along the top next to the binding strip  "go forth & multiply". The binding strip is a file folder with some of that cool printed packing tape I got from Michael's. Usually that strip would be 2 complete pages in a regularly bound book but here I glued the flash card in the fold of the strip. (That hides all the stitching threads on the inside too.)



Now you can see the other side of the flash card page along with the slide cover on the chain. It goes with a clue card from an old $45,000.00 Pyramid game. (See the photos below for a close-up.) You can also see the next page which is a piece of a Pac-Man game board that my neighbor gave me. I thought the little holes in it were cool so I found words to glue into each one.




Once you place the red slide cover over the clue card the words appear like magic. I actually made the slide cover by taking a transparency and coloring it with alcohol ink then sandwiching it between 2 slide covers that I die cut from white chip board.



I covered the back of the Pac-Man game board with some red paper and added a piece of an old Bingo card that I had. Once I had that glued down the song kept playing through my head so it had to be out on the page. The binding strip on this one is from a set of old blue prints that I found at an estate sale, the day before I left for the retreat, from the 1958. (It was only $5.00 for role of about 30 big sheets.) 

The second page is an old 45 record that my neighbor gave me after I gushed about how cool the red transparent plastic was. My friend Marita actually scrambled to send me some records to use for this class but that red record was just too cool to pass up using it. (I found a bunch at the same estate sale as I found the blue prints at.)



If your wondering how I was able to cut the record.... well the teacher told us to use plain old scissors. Believe it or not it worked and it was pretty easy to do. She said if the record seemed a little thicker to try kitchen shears or to score it few times with a craft knife and then snap it. (It will naturally break on the score line.) Even it breaks a little uneven it doesn't matter because it will be hidden by the binding strip. 

The second page is another file folder that has some printed packing tape covering it. It has the tag shapes to it because the back has 3 tags attached to it. The binding strip is plain card stock that I covered with Tim Holtz tissue tape and then I added a strip of numbers from a Dymo labeler. 



Here you can see the tags on the back of the previous page. They were samples I made for one of the Tim Holtz challenges from the Studio L3 blog. The second page is a "Sorry" game board that I cut apart. I drilled holes in 4 of the game pieces to hang along the bottom. I also cut the words "sorry" from one of the game cards. 


On the back of the Sorry game board I attached some more math flash cards and added the "incorrect" answers with some die cut numbers. The facing page is a piece of packaging plastic that I stamped with white Staz-On ink. I also stamped the cross-word puzzle and added my saying inside it. I didn't add a lot more to this page other then the blue puzzle pieces because you can see the other pages through it and I didn't want to cover that up. 



The back of the clear plastic page is mostly "Trivial Pursuit" stuff. I cut apart the answers from a card and glued them to blank tickets. I then cut the title from the directions card and added it to my saying. 

The chess page is made from a bamboo placemat. I made the chess board from striped paper that I cut into strips and the chess pieces are punched from glossy paper. The binding strip is a file folder covered with more of the printed packing tape and it also has a zipper added next to the edge. 



For the back of the bamboo placemat page I added another math flashcard and the letters are from Tim Holtz. They were originally black plastic but I dressed them up with a metallic gold paint pen from Krylon. 

So that's it for today. Be sure and stop by tomorrow to see more. 

9 comments:

Caroline said...

I love it !!! Great work, the 45 record is gorgeous, a red one ! I've looked twice at all the photo's, beautiful !

tracyozzie said...

Very very very clever and cool. Love the book

Eileen said...

Fabulous book, Val! So, the unbindable really can be bound. Who knew?
I really love it, and your theme is great.
Oh, and if a little bitty piece of one of those 30 sheets of blueprint should find it's way to the Bronx....well, I'm just sayin'....someone there would be VERY happy. :)

Patzee said...

What a delightful creation! Love the playfulness of the colors and textures.

bobbie said...

Fabulous and VERY fun!!!

Georgie Horn said...

Oh, how wonderful!

FILIGREE MOON said...

So clever. Adore the combination of textures...who'd have thought - a record? Such a work of art!

Paula said...

Valerie, the pages of your book are astounding. You are so very creative. I do believe your imagination knows no bounds, my friend! :)))

Lotus said...

What a fun book! The record is definitely the highlight!
Thank you for showing us!
Lotus