Friday, June 17, 2011

Get Your Grunge On


Click on the picture to see a larger view.
Here is my selection for this weeks technique. (Better late then never!) I completely missed last weeks challenge simply because the time just disappeared on me. (I hate when that happens.) Anyways the technique that Linda over at Studio L3 chose this week is called "Faux Batiking". If you want to visit Tim's blog to read up on it just click here. To check out all the creative goodness on Linda's blog just click here. Below are the details of what I did on mine.

1. The "faux batik" technique is what I used for the background. Unfortunately I got a little carried away and covered most of it up but I promise it's under there. (See photo below.) I used Rusty Hinge to do the stamping and Vintage Photo on the foam blending pad. A little hint from me to you is this. I have never had much luck with getting Distress Ink to stick to my rubber stamps and make a completely good impression. (Maybe I am just too picky!) What I do to compensate is I ink my stamps with a Versamark pad first and then ink them with Distress Ink over it. I find that the Versamark ink lets the Distress Ink stay put and not bead up on the stamp to give a "spotty" look to the image.


2. The frame or shadow box is actually some packaging that a stamp set came in and I couldn't bare to part with it. It was a simple folded box made from heavy craft paper card stock. To make it a little more sturdy I lined the opening with some chipboard. Mostly because the inner edges were only partial and had holes in each corner. I then tore up dictionary pages and glued them down in a random fashion. Once it was dry I rubbed Antique Linen Distress Ink along the edges.
3. The gears are all Tim Holtz dies cut from chipboard and then painted with Sophisticated Finishes paint and patina solution. Some are painted with gold and have a green patina and some are painted copper and have a blue patina. To get them to look raised I just put 3 layers of foam tape on some and only one layer on others.
4. The women is cut out from the Graphic 45 paper from the 8"x8" pad. The images are smaller then the 12" x12" paper and were just a better size for this project. (The box is only 6" square.) I cut off the original wings she had and used these german scrap ones instead. I first painted them a metallic aqua and then rubbed on some Gold Leaf Rub-N-Buff.
5. The ornate frame is a laser cut chipboard piece that I got from Maxine's Melange in Australia. I know it seems crazy to order stuff all the way from the other side of the world but the shipping is minimal because the pieces are so light. I also have yet to find anything as unique and intricate as her stuff here in the states. The frame itself is painted with more of the Sophisticated Finishes paint that rusts with the activator.
6. The last steps were to add the book plate with "Debutante" typed and glued in it. (I have an old Underwood typewriter that I bought on eBay just for that kind of thing.) I also added some of Tim's corners that I rubbed with more Gold Leaf Rub-N-Buff. (I only had silver and copper corners and really wanted gold.)



I almost forgot but here are some sample tags that I did to just test out some colors and stamp images. The tag in the upper left corner is what the background actually looks like. I also really like the way the "blueprint" one turned out.

5 comments:

Tante Käthe said...

Wow, they're all amazing. My favorite is also that blueprint, it has that special little something!

Have a good weekend!

Majo

Dawn said...

This is wonderful I really like this and the wings are YUMMY!

love Dawn xx

Jane said...

Fantastic card. All the details really make it stand out. love those wings!

The Craft Cupboard Under the Stairs said...

I love your card and all of your trials are gorgeous too!

sasa said...

She is always such a lovely lady...a really great piece and love the title in the frame!