Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Greatest Show On Earth

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
I actually did these pages (and covers) a couple of weeks ago but with my basement leaking I kinda forgot to post them. Anyways these are for another Artistic Evolution journal and the pages are for Gina Goodling. I am the first person to work in this journal so I was working off of Gina's artwork which is a woman standing by a horse. The first thought that came to mind was a circus performer riding bareback in the center ring. After I found the image of the bareback rider on a Saturday Evening Post magazine cover I went to work. It seems like a simple couple of pages but I fussed over it for days trying to get the swirled background to work. Below are the details.

1. The background is rubber stamped onto black card stock and then I heat embossed the harlequin pattern in black. (The bareback rider image is raised up on foam tape.)
2. The swirls on the background of the second page are all die cuts that I cut from paper that I wiped a Versamark pad over and then heat embossed with my own mix of glitter embossing powder. (I used royal blue and a deep green paper.)
3. The title was something that I created on my computer using some of the hundreds of fonts that I have been collecting.
4. The "over the edge" treatment on the right hand page is simply circles cut from lightweight chipboard that I first covered with more heat embossed paper. I then covered the edge with some fancy black and gold upholstery gimp.
5. The tent on the left hand page is a pattern I drew out and covered with more heat embossed paper. I used die cut circles again for the bottom edge of the tent and covered the edge with some black and gold trim. The flag is a craft pick painted gold and the ball on top is a teeny tiny piece of chipboard.
6. The circus performer next to the tent is a rubber stamp image that matches the Graphic 45 paper "Le Cirque". (The title on the other side of the tent is from the same set.)

I also had permission to work some more on Gina's covers. Since she had done crazy quilting I just had to add to them and since she didn't have time to embellish the inside and outside back cover she was more then happy to let me play. Her colors were royal blue, amethyst and emerald green and since she didn't have any green on any of the covers I had to add some to the front cover as well. Below are the before and after photos.



Front Cover

Inside Back Cover

Outside Back Cover

5 comments:

FILIGREE MOON said...

So beautiful!!! Adore the attention to detail and color!

bobbie said...

Amazing ~ simply amazing!!!

Ann said...

these are wonderful!!
thanks for sharing!

Sue Young said...

Ooooooooohhhhhhh!Love what u did in Ginas journal!!Lucky her!

goodling4 said...

Val, I just had to come visit and see the blog pages for my AE journal you worked on so very long ago! Can I just tell you again what an amazing artist you are and how much I love how you enhanced and embellished my covers in and out and the beautiful pages you did for me! You have such an eye for detail and I can't wait to get this journal home! It's still traveling so it might be awhile!!!!!
XXO Gina