Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Get Your Grunge On


Yep It's that time again. I completely missed last weeks challenge so I wanted to be sure and catch this one. I managed 2 greeting cards but kept it to the KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid/Sweetheart.)  Be sure and check out Linda's blog here to see all the details. You can also click here to see the Tim Holtz video that shows the technique for this weeks challenge.


Click on the picture to see a larger view. 
 For this background technique I chose the colors Dusty Concord, Faded Jeans, Bundled Sage and Milled Lavender. The swirl was something I hand cut for the previous project and ended up not using it so it got a new home. Before I mounted the swirl down I machine stitched around the edge of the black paper with a zig-zag. I also used a black glaze gel pen to add the row of dots along the top and bottom of the black paper. 

Since I had little time between vacuuming the water still coming into my studio I again used the scraps that were still out from other projects. I used the colors of Rusty Hinge, Frayed Burlap, and mixed Broken China and Bundled Sage for the blue green color. I then stamped the wallpaper pattern over the background with some Staz-On ink in Timber Brown. I layered the gears in 2 colors of copper paper which are cut from Tim Holtz Gadget Gears and Spellbinders Sprightly Sprockets dies.

13 comments:

Wendy said...

These are awesome, very unique.

MarleneMAZ said...

Great cards! same technique but totally different results, you have to love this:)

Plume said...

Great cards and I hope you manage wth the water in your studio. I am qishing you dry weather!

fairy thoughts said...

great cards I love the way you have used the cog as a frame I must try that
janet

fairy thoughts said...

great cards, I love the way you have used the big cog as a frame, I must try that
janet

Jane said...

Beautiful cards. Colors on both are gorgeous. I love the way the bold colors in the first card tie in so well to the flourish.

sasa said...

my favourite is the second - just love the image and colours together!
Thanks for sharing...
Sarah at 46

The Craft Cupboard Under the Stairs said...

Your color combinations are marvelous. And amazing use of "leftovers"

Electra said...

There are wonderful, Valerie-what an innovative way to take advantage of all the colours!

Crafty Chick Designs said...

What a great way to use the gears! Love it. It is amazing how the two color palettes give a completely different effect. Thanks for sharing both.
Deb

Debbie said...

Awesome sets! Great designs and colours! Really like these a lot!

BrianK said...

Wow, two cool cards. Great color selections. Using the gears and sprocets as a frame is inspired. Really nicely done.

FILIGREE MOON said...

Fabulous! Gorgeous colors!