Thank goodness Linda is letting everyone have 2 weeks for this one. (Click on the banner above to get to Linda's blog.) Although I managed to finish my project in the nick of time I have been having issues with being able to work in my studio due to the fact that it is leaking again. (Something it does every sprint time.) The good news is that I finally convinced hubby that it should be fixed. The bad news is that I will have to empty my studio to do so.
Anyways here is my contribution to the this weeks challenge. This is a technique from May 2008 to create a niche or shadow box effect. (Click here to see the technique on Tim's blog.) Below are the details of how I did it all.
1. First of all I didn't have any foam board (or at least I couldn't find it) and I didn't want to run up to Michael's for just one thing. (It never is just one thing and always leads to a large credit card bill and complaining from hubby.) So I made do with using several layers of chipboard that I cut the square out of using a die cut. This made it much easier to get a clean box because the openings were all exactly the same.
2. I painted the inside of the box instead of wrapping it like Tim shows because I was a dummy and glued the backing on before I realized I hadn't done that. I left it the natural chipboard color and then painted a crackled finish over it in white. The pink shading is done with some chalk and a "Fantastix" from Tsukineko. (It's a blending tool with a soft point.)
3. The background is some of the Coordinations paper that was embossed with a folder and then sanded. (The core color happened to be the same as the chipboard.) I then rubbed the edges with some more chalk.
4. The bird, branch and fleur-de-lis are all dies from Tim Holtz. The rest are from Maxine's Melange which are laser cut. (Even though she is in Australia the prices and shipping are quite reasonable so be sure to check her out.) I coated all the die/laser cuts with crackle finish and then painted them white. I then lightly sanded the edges of everything and even rubbed the edges a little with some Tattered Rose distress ink. The birdcage is also coated with Dr. Ph. Martin's iridescent silver calligraphy ink to make it shine a little.
5. The nest is made by taking 3 oval pearls and then wrapping white wire around them. (Click here to see the tutorial I found by Cathe Holden on how to make these.)
6. After I glued all the chipboard pieces down I drilled a couple of small holes in the sides at the top and inserted 2 eye pins. I then hung the piece from some white chain and attached some pearls and glass beads to dangle down the sides.