I was overly busy with this one and I made not one sample but 3. I just couldn't seem to stop making tags and playing with various ways to do this technique. Below are better close-up versions of each tag and an explanation of how I did each one.
Click on the picture to see a larger version.
1. I chose to stamp an image on the background and I used one of the new "backwards" stamps that Tim has come out with. (These are made specifically for doing this stamp technique on embossing folders.) I stamped the image in Vintage Photo and then colored the raised portion with Peeled Paint. The edges are rubbed with Spiced Marmalade and a little Rusty Hinge. (The embossing folder is a new one from Tim called Clock & Steampunk set.)
2. The saying is a new Wendy Vecchi stamp that I just got. The gears are from 7 Gypsies and Paper Wishes. The clock face is from an old pocket watch I tore apart. The really cool thing is that the numbers glow in the dark.
1. The embossing folder on this one is the Steampunk one and I used Vintage to ink the background part of the folder before I embossed it. I then rubbed Tattered Rose over it and edged it with Peeled Paint. The stamps are from Stamper's Anonymous except for the face and I can't remember where I got her from. She is stamped onto chipboard that is covered with a manilla folder then cut with Tim's new mini heart set of Mover and Shapers dies.
2. I added eyelets along the bottom and then created my own beaded fringe that I hung on jump rings through the eyelets.
1. The embossing folder for this one is also the Steampunk and I chose to stamp the background again with another of Tim's "backwards" stamps in Vintage Photo. I then rubbed the raised areas with Rusty Hinge and edged the tag with Broken China. (I also colored over the edges of the tag with a teal colored pencil to "true" up the blue ink over the rust color. )
2. The papers are all from Graphics 45 called Steampunk Debutante. (I LOVE THIS PAPER!) I mean I really LOVE this paper. I used Tim's new mini rossette die and the tattered banner die along with a stamp of his for the pen nibs.
Of course I just couldn't stop as I said up above. I kept playing with different color combos and stamps with various folders to see which one I liked best. Below are some samples that I did.
The smaller tag is one that I sprayed with water before embossing it at all so you can see that the ink color is still intense but it has that fuzzy quality from the water making the ink bleed. The larger tag I swiped the ink on the opposite side then Tim recommends in the video. Just because I wanted to see what the gears looked like with ink instead of the background.
This set of tags were ones that were already colored with Tim's faux glimmer mist recipe so I wanted to see if they would work. I think they turned out beautiful!
Just a couple more that I wanted to try different folders with different stamps. I found that the closer together the embossing image is the more intricate a stamp you should use or else the stamped image won't show up.
So if you want more details on this Grungy Monday challenge that I am participating in then head over to the Studio L3 blog to check it out. The video with the technique and all the other links are available there if you want to join in.