Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Get Your Grunge On

Yup ... it's that time again. Time to get out your Tim Holtz products and get busy creating a grungy mess. This week the technique is from a Ranger Ink video on how to use Studio Matt Multi-Medium gel with Distress Ink to create a resist. To view the video that shows how to do this just click here. To get more info on the whole shebang that Linda is doing on her blog simply go to L3 Studio by clicking here. 




Click on the picture to see a larger view.
So this is my version of the video technique and I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. I think it will have a permanent place of honor on the door of the cabinet that houses all of my sewing supplies. Below are all the details of the colors and other products I used.

I started by locating and ripping out a page that had a sewing machine on it from an encyclopedia I bought on eBay and gluing it to some chipboard. (The piece measures about 5 3/4" by 8 1/2".) For the background colors I used Distress Ink in Wild Honey and Faded Jeans. The beautiful green appeared by overlapping the 2 colors but I deepened it a little with Bundled Sage. I also didn't have the Studio Matt Multi-Medium gel so I used the Michael's "cheapy" brand that I had and it worked fine.

Once I had rubbed the Distress Ink over the entire background I wanted to change the pedestal and the neck piece of the dress form. I did that by inking the foam stamp I created from Tim's die with a Versamark pad just on the areas I wanted to emboss. I then dumped an antique gold powder on it and heated away with the heat gun. I also cut out a birdcage from another of Tim's dies and trimmed it to fit the dress form. To make it appear old I heat embossed some antique pewter powder over it.

The "measuring tape" at the top is actually an old carpenters ruler that I had. I didn't want to cut up any of my actual measuring tapes because I still use them and they don't have that faded, really old look that the ruler did.

The gold hearts you see are actually corsage pins that I have had for a while. I liked them better then real sewing pins because of the shaped head and they are much larger then the regular pins. They are simply stuck through the existing holes of the vintage eyelet fabric along the bottom. To finish it off I wove a black and white dotted ribbon through the pins and tied it in a bow.

The hooks down the side are from my stash of really old ones that I have found in the various tins of buttons I have collected over the years. I sewed the hooks and the mother of pearls buttons down both sides with embroidery floss.

The thread spool is cut from actual wood paper which was glued over chipboard. I then wrapped it with some more embroidery thread and stuck the end through a real needle. To finish it off I stuck the needle through a small square of fabric.

13 comments:

1CardCreator said...

This looks awesome!

Jennie Atkinson said...

This is just so beautiful .... everything about just works so wonderfully.

Netty said...

This piece is fabulous Valerie. Annette

Shelann said...

I love this, it has great details down to the sewing page background.

Eileen said...

This is a gorgeous, detailed piece and I just love it! Perfect for your sewing closet. (Of course you have a sewing closet, LOL. I have a sewing box.)
It's really cool to see your grungy creations each week.

Shelly Hickox said...

This is totally fantastic - love the sewing theme. It's killing me that I don't have that die yet. Your piece is very inspiring!

minnie_mac said...

Brilliant piece. Everything is just right.

I've been kicking myself ever since I was a good girl in the craft shop on Monday, and resisted the temptation to get the dress form die set !

Marilyn

Julie Forest said...

Absolutely fabulous piece! Love all your special little sewing details! Beautiful background colors, too!! :)

Sam said...

I like what you have done on this piece! I am loving this die and matching stamps!

Electra said...

Beautiful, as always, Valerie!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Valerie, your grungy mess is a BEAUTIFUL mess! I love this design. The resist is just perfect, and the colors and embellishments are gorgeous and so thoughtfully chosen. I love how you "tied off" the little buttons along the side. Bravo... and encore!

Scrap Vamp said...

Beautiful! Love the sewing notion embellies and the pins!!!

teri said...

This looks so soft and sweet.