Ingrid provided us with many templates to cut pages from or to decorate areas like the gears shown above.
The hand holding the guy is "fussy" cut as the page edge. I also traced a loose border around the image on the previous page and painted it black.
Close-up of the wired button edge.
The edge of this page was done with a buttonhole or blanket stitch using embroidery floss. This was to let us practice for doing a later page with wire and beads. I decided to dress mine up further by whip stitching a piece of "fun fur" around the edge.
The hands both flip independently and are another template that Ingrid gave us to trace.
I punched holes along the bottom of the page and was going to originally dangle bullet casings hoping that they would create a kind of wind chime effect and jingle. But the small ones didn't jingle and the larger casings were too heavy and got caught when the page was flipped so I changed it to fibers instead.
Ingrid made these little mermaids herself by making a mold of a frozen Charlotte doll and then forming it in clay and redoing the feet into a tail. She then fired it and made another mold of the final mermaid so that she could reproduce them for classes. She showed us how to color them by rubbing "clear" shoe polish over them to make them look old. I chose to paint mine with the Sophisticated Finishes paint that you can add a patina solution to.
Here's a close-up of the edge fringe. I took some batik fabric I had and just ripped it into 1/2" strips. I then punched holes and inserted eyelets before I tied the fabric strips onto the page.
Here is same stitched edge as I had shown earlier but it is done with 24 gauge wire and has a bead added to every stitch.
Here's one of the many templates that Ingrid had for pages that folded out. This page was painted with Modern Masters Faux Finish paint. It is similar to the Sophisticated Finishes Paint in that they all have patina solutions that you add after the metallic paint to change the look. This one is the iron particle paint that becomes rusty with the patina solution. (I think I might like the Modern Masters paint better.)
Here's a close-up of the window cut-outs. They are ATC sized windows that are laser cut from thin masonite board. I got them from Kristin over at Retro Cafe Art. (The back is just a piece of chipboard that I cut to fit.)
Here is a close-up of the gear edge. I took thinner chipboard and cut 3 of each gear I wanted to use. The first set of gears were glued to the front of the page. The second set of gears were cut off at the edge of the page and glued down. The third set of gears was glued over the back of the page and sandwiches the second layer in between. I then painted the page with more of the Sophisticated Finishes paint in a gold and then put a blue patina over it. To make the gears stay gold on the back of the page I simply used some more gear cut-outs as stencils and sprayed the patina solution over them.