Sunday, March 27, 2011

Over The Edge Journal - Steampunk Style

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

I think I have finally finished the "Over The Edge" journal that Ingrid Dijkers taught to us in Key Largo on my recent art retreat. I have no idea what I will put it in it, whether it be photos of the retreat or just journaling like Ingrid usually does in hers. Anyways here are the front and back covers. I used the Steampunk Debutante paper from Graphic 45 for most of it but there is some other stuff mixed in as well. (Be prepared to do a lot of scrolling. There is a lot of photos for this journal.)


 Ingrid provided us with many templates to cut pages from or to decorate areas like the gears shown above. 


The hand holding the guy is "fussy" cut as the page edge. I also traced a loose border around the image on the previous page and painted it black.  

Close-up of the wired button edge. 


The edge of this page was done with a buttonhole or blanket stitch using embroidery floss. This was to let us practice for doing a later page with wire and beads. I decided to dress mine up further by whip stitching a piece of "fun fur" around the edge. 


The hands both flip independently and are another template that Ingrid gave us to trace. 


I punched holes along the bottom of the page and was going to originally dangle bullet casings hoping that they would create a kind of wind chime effect and jingle. But the small ones didn't jingle and the larger casings were too heavy and got caught when the page was flipped so I changed it to fibers instead. 



Ingrid made these little mermaids herself by making a mold of a frozen Charlotte doll and then forming it in clay and redoing the feet into a tail. She then fired it and made another mold of the final mermaid so that she could reproduce them for classes. She showed us how to color them by rubbing "clear" shoe polish over them to make them look old. I chose to paint mine with the Sophisticated Finishes paint that you can add a patina solution to. 


Here's a close-up of the edge fringe. I took some batik fabric I had and just ripped it into 1/2" strips. I then punched holes and inserted eyelets before I tied the fabric strips onto the page. 


Here is same stitched edge as I had shown earlier but it is done with 24 gauge wire and has a bead added to every stitch. 


Here's one of the many templates that Ingrid had for pages that folded out. This page was painted with Modern Masters Faux Finish paint. It is similar to the Sophisticated Finishes Paint in that they all have patina solutions that you add after the metallic paint to change the look. This one is the iron particle paint that becomes rusty with the patina solution. (I think I might like the Modern Masters paint better.) 



Here's a close-up of the window cut-outs. They are ATC sized windows that are laser cut from thin masonite board. I got them from Kristin over at Retro Cafe Art. (The back is just a piece of chipboard that I cut to fit.) 


Here is a close-up of the gear edge. I took thinner chipboard and cut 3 of each gear I wanted to use. The first set of gears were glued to the front of the page. The second set of gears were cut off at the edge of the page and glued down. The third set of gears was glued over the back of the page and sandwiches the second layer in between. I then painted the page with more of the Sophisticated Finishes paint in a gold and then put a blue patina over it. To make the gears stay gold on the back of the page I simply used some more gear cut-outs as stencils and sprayed the patina solution over them. 


25 comments:

Paula said...

Valerie, your journal is a most exceptional work of art! I love the wired button edge. I can only imagine the time it took to piece together. The pages are so beautiful as they are, I would never want to embellish them further, for I would want them to remain as is ... I could get lost in each one. For me, each page immediately brings forth dreaming, my mind escapes to wondrous places amidst your creativity. 'Tis a true treasure, my friend! :))

Sheila A. said...

I love the wired button edge!! So different. Great post. I really enjoy your blog and check daily. Thank you for all your work and inspiration!!

Nancy said...

Valerie: What a wonderful journal. It is just perfect and interesting to look at. Thank you for sharing it.

Karenliz said...

Outstanding! Your journal is amazing. I love Steampunk and I would have a hard time using it!

bobbie said...

This is magnificent!!!

Sarah said...

Oh, how I would love to take this class but will have to be content just looking at the pictures! Your book turned out fantastic!!

ann said...

Ohhhh this is amazing so much attention to detail it is a real work of art !!!!
thanks for sharing..xxx

Lillian Mederak said...

wow Wow WOW Valerie
that is amazing work
Well done my friend its just beautiful !!!!!
Lilli
Lillian Mederak.
http://www.canadianscraptramp.blogspot.com/

Ann said...

omg..I am speechless!! your journal s spectacular and a feast for the eyes! I love your wire,beads,fabic and fiber edges..the foldout pages..omg..so many fabulous things! a treasure!! thank you so much for sharing this! i know i'll be back to look at this over and over!! ann

Sue young said...

Fabuloso Val!!!!!!!!!You did a wonderful job on this!

TwoHeartsPath said...

I love these on the edge techniques, I have been seeing the posts from the retreat, and know it had to be so much fun and a great learning experience also. Just when I think I have picked a favorite edge technique, I see another that is just too awesome!!! I want to touch our journal and linger on each page...it is just a wonderful thing!!! Thanks so much for sharing what you have learned!! Hups Patti

Jana said...

Fabulous journal. I love all the edges. You are so lucky to have had the chance to take a class with her.

Lindart said...

Your journal is AWESOME!!! I'm so jealous that you go to take a class with Ingrid, one of my dreams! There is LOTS of inspiration on your pages, I plan to revisit often!

donna!ee said...

absolutely gorgeous steampunk journal...full of inspiring twists & turns! thank you much for sharing :)

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

This is fabulous! Love it all. I received your necklace... it is gorgeous!!! Thank you! I am sending your package tomorrow.

1CardCreator said...

What an awesome book! Those edges are all so unique and gorgeous! I love the wired buttons, what am I saying, I love them all!

Raeven said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!
I always love your work and this time is no exception. You did a fantastic job on it.
Is that a three ring binder and are the pages made from chipboard?
Inquiring minds need to know.

Eileen said...

What a gorgeous book you've created, and I'm full of admiration for you for doing so much! I'm just starting to work on the canvas pages we started with Bea, then I'll move onto this project. So much art, so little time....

Lululiz said...

FABULOUS! That wired button edge is just amazing, I have never seen anything like it!

FILIGREE MOON said...

Beautiful! So much detail, so many layers, could stare and study for hours! ~ Angela

lee said...

You are just a fabulously talented lady! Love ya!

Electra said...

Oh, you have inspired me, it's time to make a little book!

Ginia said...

What size paper did you use? 4x6? Looks Amazing!!!

Jackie said...

That is crazy good, amazing job.

Anonymous said...

THX for sharing