Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Get Your Grunge On!

I have decided to try and do a weekly challenge and who better to do it with then Tim Holtz and Studio L3. Well... Tim Holtz isn't really "doing" the challenge but it is all based on his previous designs for inspiration. This is a weekly challenge that is being hosted by Linda Ledbetter on her blog every Monday.

The first challenge is based on his Christmas tag #10 from 2008. (Click here to see the tag.) The idea is take his design and make it your own while using some or all of the techniques he shows. If you want to know more particulars then head on over to Linda's blog and check it all out.

So without further ado here is my version of the tag.

It is a lot simpler then I usually do and if given the chance I would add more to it. (Which I may still do later.) Anyways I used a mix of Frayed Burlap and Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls for the faux Glimmer Mist background. I then rubbed Rusty Hinge over the background with a foam blending pad.

I don't have very many stamps from Tim which is something I need to rectify so I used one of my favorite ones that I do own. I stamped it on Grunge paper since I don't have any Grunge board. (I need to get some because the paper curls way too much when it is heated.) I also didn't like how muted the Perfect Pearls showed up on the Grunge Paper so I used my favorite mica pigments from Luminarte called Twinkling H2O's in Lemongrass. (I also don't have any of the Distress Embossing powders either.)

I have one set of alphabet stamps which I used for the title and then I rubbed Shabby Shutter Distress Ink around the edges. The torn piece of music along the bottom is edged with Scattered Straw Distress Ink.

I don't have any trinket pins or charms from Tim in the antique bronze finish so I used a safety "beading" pin to hold a heart charm. (Don't know who makes either one of them.)

AS you can see I changed the placement of all the elements of the design because the stamped image worked better in the "portrait" position and it just made sense to place the title going down next to it and the music along the bottom.

13 comments:

Lisa said...

It's great--I love that you used what you had. A lot of what Tim uses for trinkets he finds in random places.

Netty said...

Such a beautiful tag, loving it. Annette x

Toni said...

Valerie... awesome job on your grungy Monday project...Really enjoyed your blog and I am now a follower. Thank you for the freebie images and inspiration.

1CardCreator said...

Gorgeous tag, I love your take on it. I posted a card today I made with one of your Asian images, thanks so much.

Caroline Hallett said...

very nice tag - love what you have done

Plume said...

You made Tim's tag your own and it is beautiful! I love the freshness of it.

Marjie K said...

Beautiful! Glad to have found your blog through Linda's page.

Electra said...

It's wonderful and I too, use what I have. I'm so glad you're going to play along, I adore Linda's Challenges/Events/Wonderful Things that she puts together!

Wanda H said...

Great tag!!!

MarleneMAZ said...

Great tag! glad you made it your own and were able to use what you had.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Beautiful tag.

Jenny Potter said...

Beautiful tag - love the background masking :)

Linda Ledbetter said...

Valerie, I'm so glad you decided to join in, and I absolutely love what you created! It's perfect in its elegant simplicity, and really doesn't need a single thing more. I love the colors ad the happy, summery feel, and your design is fabulous! Thanks so much for joining in on Grungy Monday #1!