Click on the picture to see a larger view.
1. The background was done on 140 lb. watercolor paper, as Daisy requested, and I started by doing a wash using the new Tim Holtz Distress Stains in Spun Sugar. (WONDERFUL stuff!) After it was dry I placed 3 different stencil masks from Tattered Angels over the pages and sprayed it with Tsukineko walnut ink in Cherry Blossom. The edges of each page were rubbed with Distress Ink in Pumice Stone to make them darker. To make the scrolls and frame stand out more I went around the edges of the stencil masks images with more of the walnut ink on a brush and some colored pencils. To finish it off I used a white gel pen to dot some swirls here and there.
2. Marie is from an image I collected from that fabulous french site I found a while ago. I cut the skirt off but eventually ended up recreating it in a more 3-D form. I started by scrunching some black crepe paper in 2 layers to create the overskirt. The underskirt is a piece of ladies hanky left over from a previous project with a piece of lace over it. The edging of the overskirt is made by hand gathering a 3 foot piece of silk embroidery ribbon. I then tacked it down by sewing rose colored seed beads over it.
3. The bodice was left pretty much as the original image but I added a "fur" collar by using some black Flower Soft. I cut apart a gold filigree bead to make her broach and the necklaces and bracelet are very thin gold stickers. To make the jet beads at the waist stand out I simply dotted them with a black glaze gel pen.
4. Here head dress was made by taking some black feathers and curling them with my scissors then gluing them behind her head. The hairpin is a self adhesive rhinestone cluster that I found at Michael's.