Sunday, January 9, 2011

Say Yes To The Dress

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This is yet another set of pages for the Marie Antoinette circle journal group. This one goes to Jennifer Rogers-Daniels and her theme is to create pages that will be presented to the queen for new apparel, jewelry, wigs, shoes, crowns, etc. For some reason the phrase from the TV program of the same name just stuck with me so I just went with it. When I went shopping for fabric I originally bought a purple and gold chinese brocade but it was too stiff for such a small dress so I went with my second choice of silk dupioni. Below are all the details of what I did.

1. The background is an actual dress pattern tissue paper that I Mod Podged down. I then wiped a layer of metallic champagne acrylic paint over it to lighten and soften the color of the tissue paper. The edge is stamped with a rubber stamp I have from Club Scrap and it is heat embossed with gold.

2. The dress started with the under skirt which is an old womans handkerchief that I cut and gathered. I then gathered and hand stitched small circles that I measured off on the front of the skirt. To cover the stitching I added rhinestones that fit into small gold pronged bezels. I also added some white beaded trim along the bottom of the skirt to add some bling.

3. I really wanted the dress to be a patterned material but they only had solid colored silk. To remedy that I hand stamped the lighter colored silk myself with a small fleur-de-lis and then hand painted the white and gold dots. I then stitched a panel of the darker teal to the inside of each outer skirt panel and gathered each panel back like a curtain.

4. The bodice is the darker teal that I glued over a piece of chip board that was covered with felt. The felt gives it a softer look and gave me something to stitch the beads into.

5. The sleeves are just pieces of white card stock with strips of lace glued over it. The lace was originally a very bright white and didn't match the older white of the handkerchief underskirt so I made it more cream colored by rubbing some chalk into it with a stiff brush. (There is also a piece of lace glued behind the top of the bodice.)

6. The flowers along the gathering of the overskirt are paper punchart in a cream, bright gold and antique gold papers.

7. The dress form that the dress is on is a stamp I own but it wasn't big enough for the size of the page. I simply stamped it and then scanned the image and re-sized it to fit the page. I then printed it on heavy white card stock, cut it out and hand colored it. The original stamped part of the stand I cut off and made my own from gold wire. I twisted 2 pieces together and then added a third around the very bottom to get the three legs of the stand and then hammered the whole thing flat with a ball peen hammer. (Always loved that word..... "ball peen hammer". - It just makes me giggle!)

8. On the second page the stuff I used for the dress I just glued randomly on the bottom of the page. The title is a Sizzix alphabet called "Sassy Serif". I started with a dark teal card stock and stamped it and heat embossed it before I cut out the letters.

6 comments:

Netty said...

Gorgeous pages. Annette x

Electra said...

Valerie, I simply gasped when I saw this. All the detail! and the workmanship! This is wonderful!!

Barbara DeLisle said...

This is wonderful. So creative!!

Createology said...

I love this collage with the pieces and then the finished dress. It is a work of beauty.

Vintage Gran said...

Such detail! Fabulous work. I just wonder how long it took to do it and what size it actually is? You are so very creative and I enjoy seeing your work. I have learned a lot from your tutorials and examples. Thanks for sharing.

Jana said...

GORGEOUS. I love all the texture and the colors. LOVE it.