Wednesday, December 15, 2010

An Extra "Tim" Bonus

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
I have been wanting to do one of these ever since I saw the one that my friend Eileen showed on her blog. After that I did a web search and of course saw the one that Tim taught a class on and then I had to have it all.  This one will actually be a gift for my sister-in-law Carolyn. The only reason I am showing it is because I know that she doesn't follow my blog. (At least I hope she doesn't.)

Below are all the close-ups of the various compartments and I will share the details on how I did things or what I used and where I found them.



The basket I had so no idea where it came from. The miniature holly garland and pinecones I got from a miniature dollhouse store called Timber Ridge Studio. He has lots of cool stuff and I think he even makes some of it. The candy canes I found at "good old" Michael's but they could easily be made from polymer clay.

The cardinal I found at Michael's and the nest I found at a local family owned craft store. It could easily be made from some fiber or even raffia. 

The window is from Retro Cafe Art and it is one of three sizes. This 2" square one fits perfectly but there is also an ATC sized one that Kristin had designed at my request. The bottle brush wreathe I found at Michael's and it is just glued to the back of the window. The window itself is painted white then I scratched the paint off in various places with a craft knife. Then I glued some packaging plastic to the back and brushed on some Snow-Tex by Deco Art that I have. I didn't have the glittery Snow-Tex so to make the snow look sparkly I brushed on some Rock Candy Distress Stickles.

I have no idea where I got the bear. He was in my drawer marked "miniature toys" and has been there a few years. (Sorry!)

The tree and presents can be found at Michael's again. The very small horsey toy down in the front I got at another miniature dollhouse store called "Dollhouse Collectables". When I say this place has everything I mean they have EVERYTHING.  If you are a serious miniature dollhouse collector then this is the place to shop. The numbers I die cut from a Sizzix die called "Ransom" and the "December" metal plate I can't remember where I got it. I think it might be by Making Memories but I have had them for a long time and I am not sure they are even made anymore.


Sorry but this is another one that I have no idea where I got it at. I wish I knew because I want more of them. I have an inkling it might be from a certain store but they are only local and don't have a website so even if that is where I got them you can't get them. However after having typed all that I found some at Create for Less but they are in assorted colors. (Which you can always paint.) Better go order some before you guys buy them all. 


The fence I found at Joann Fabrics and the bottle brush trees were at Michael's. I again added the Snow-Tex and Rock Candy Distress Stickles. The sled is from the Dollhouse Collectables again. (The link is above somewhere.)  

The rocking horse and skates are also from Dollhouse collectables. The cool thing (and also a bummer) is that they are solid metal. I say this is a bummer because I wanted to hang the skates from the side of the compartment and they are impossible to drill a hole through. 


I included these 2 photos just because they are really adorable. As you can see I was taking the photo on the floor next to the couch because of the sun light coming through the big windows in our living room. Dexter had to be in the middle of it all and I have a few photos of him walking through the frame.


When I moved to the other side of the room to get a shot in full sunlight he had to follow. (He's very good at being a "supervisor".)




8 comments:

Electra said...

This is one of the nicest ones I've seen, Valerie. Love your "supervisor" too!

Createology said...

Great collage and now you have a "new" vintage treasure to enjoy year after year. Happy Holly Jolly Joy...

Juliet A said...

It's good to see one of these that isn't a total Tim Holtz commercial. I wondered what sorts of things ordinary people would put in it (not that you are ordinary!).

Elaine A said...

Val -

This is just beautiful! What a sweet gift, I am sure your sister-in-law will fall in love with it. And Dexter is too funny. He reminds me of my two guys who have to be in the midst of whatever is going on - LOL! I see he still has that "mohawk ridge" in the middle of his forhead - too cute!

Elaine Allen

jenny said...

Absolutely gorgeous Valerie... loved looking at each little compartment and the deliciousness that it contained... am sure your sister-in-law will adore it...

Jenny x

paperqueen said...

Yours is lovely! I think I have found enough miniatures to make another 10 of these! Having said that, I doubt it will happen. Too much other stuff to do. But wasn't it great fun?
Eileen

NanE said...

Wonderful! I love this, so much vintage details. Thanks for sharing, Nan

Jana said...

Your configuration is Wonderful. I love how you pulled all these little treasure together. Thank you for sharing your sources.
Your supervisor is adorable. Love that he gets involved.