Click on the picture to see a larger view.
1. The background was done with a faux glimmer mist recipe from Tim Holtz. (click here to see the video on working with metallic powders.) I used a Walnut Ink spray from Tsukineko in Cherry Blossom along with a metallic mica powder from Lindy's Stamp Gang in Hibiscus Rose Orange. I sprayed it over some stencils/screens that I have from Tattered Angels and then I sponged some metallic champagne paint on the stencils and used them as stamps in the stencil design area. I also took the same stencils in other areas and sponged the same metallic paint over them to create a negative design. I then took various stamps with various pastel colors and placed them randomly to fill in between the metallic painted areas. The border down the recipe page is done with some Martha Stewart border punches and some beautiful tapestry ribbon from my scraps box. (I darkened the edge of the pages with some Distress ink on a blending foam pad with Victorian Velvet.)
2. Marie was an image I found on-line somewhere and she is printed out quite large. In fact I had to use extra wide paper to print her out. (13" x 19") The only thing I did to her was to add lace around her collar and twist some crepe paper together to make her hair band. Before I attached her to the page with foam tape I colored a shadow around her with a very soft dark pencil from Ebony. (I smudged it with my finger to blend it.) The small little message on this page was typed on my vintage 1940's typewriter on some cream paper.
3. The mask is made from some thinner chipboard and run through my Sizzix in an embossing folder from Cuttlebug called Ornamental Iron. I then painted the mask a rose color and then dabbed my finger in a darker rose color and rubbed it over the raised design. I glued a rose and gold piece of trim around the outside edge and pearls around the eyes. The scrollwork on the top of the mask is all cut from chipboard and Sizzix dies. Then it was painted gold and antiqued with silver paint and Black Soot Distress ink. The pearls were all placed one by one with a good pair of tweezers. (Thank goodness they are flat back and self adhesive or I would have driven myself crazy.) The finishing touch was to hang an antique brass chain from a pearl drop on each side.
4. On the recipe page I did the title by cutting letters from various alphabet sets that I have from Sizzix. The silver paper was stamped and then heat embossed with an antique pewter powder and then the paper was darkened with some watered down Black Soot Distress Ink. I also took some white acrylic paint and sponged the area where the title would be so that it would show up better.
5. The recipe itself was printed on regular card stock and then torn out and chalked. The matt around it was torn from some thinner cream colored paper and then given my special distress treatment. (It is best to use thinner paper for this kind of distressing.) I simply wet the edges first with plain water then brush on some watered down Distress Ink so that it bleeds into the edge. (I used Stormy Sky for this one.) Once the ink has soaked in but still damp I take the paper and roll the edge between my fingers. I do it fast and continuously until it rips and gets tattered. I usually dry it with my heat gun which will make it curl more then I take the ink and bush some more along the very edge to darken it. I also brush some more ink along the back in case some of the paper color is showing on the curled edge.