When I started this set of pages my beginning idea was very different from how it ended up. I wanted to make a white fairy that lived in the world of light and air. As I found out that Elena's father-in-law had a major stroke last week she evolved into something more. She became the bringer of light, the guardian of the gates of heaven. I even wrote the poem on the left hand page in honor of Elena's father that passed away last December.
Here are the details on how I did everything.
1. The background is a bunch of die cuts, lace, ripped cardboard and doilies that were glued down to the page. I then took crumpled white and cream tissue paper and Mod Podged it over both pages. To make sure it got into all the nooks and crannies I used a stiff bristle brush to tamp it down without ripping the tissue paper. Once the glue was dry I painted it all with white acrylic paint and then sprayed a mixture of white Tintz Walnut ink (by Fiber Scraps which I think is out of business), gold mica powder and water. I stamped a few images with gold Staz-On ink. (My new favorite metallic ink pads.)
2. The edges of the poem are brushed with clear water first then I took some metallic gold acrylic and let it soak into the wet edges. The gears are die cut from various shades of metallic gold paper. The gears with words on them are cut from a piece of chipboard that has a dictionary page attached to it first. (A wash of thinned gold paint was applied over them after they were cut out.)
3. The image of the woman was found on the internet from a wonderful digital artist, Benita Winkler. (Below is how she appears in the original art.) I manipulated the image to make her colors much less bright and less yellow before I printed it out. (I also took out some of the "feathers" that were covering her shoulder.) I then painted her "costume" with several shades of gold acrylic paint. Her headdress is made from various little pieces of alphabet die-cuts. They were cut from several shades of gold paper that I embossed with various shades of gold powder. (I think it took me about 6 hours to cut and piece just the headdress.) It also took 3 packages of feathers to create her "hair" which is just glued around the head underneath the gold headdress.
4. Her wings are printed from I pattern I created on my computer and printed on a transparency. I then took some Fantasy Fiber and placed a bunch of it on a craft sheet then ironed it into a sheet. I ran the wings through my Xyron and then attached the Fantasy fiber sheet to the back of it. After that I ran it through the Xyron again and attached a piece of gold vellum to the back of the wings. It let a little of the gold show through and helps to protect the Fantasy Fiber. Below is the wing pattern for you to download and use for your own projects.
To download click on the picture to get a full size image. Right click
and "save to" your computer desktop or a folder of your choice.