Saturday, October 2, 2010

Just in Time For Dressing Up

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
I just finished this full sized mask a few hours ago for MC Sparks to replace the mask that she never received in a recent swap on my Yahoo group. (Nothing gripes me more then someone who drops out of a swap and doesn't bother to notify me.) Anyways here are the details on how I made it.

1. The mask was one of those full face masks that I bought at Michael's and then cut the lower part of the face off. (I didn't like the shape of the chin and mouth.) I then sanded it lightly and painted it with a metallic teal acrylic paint. I then put a crackle coating over it and covered it in white paint. I then decided that I didn't like the way it turned out and I painted over the whole thing in metallic lime green. It's kinda cool the way you can see the crackle effect under the lime green paint. ( The edges are rubbed with silver Rub-N-Buff.)

2. The headpiece is made from chipboard die cuts that have been pieced together. It is painted in Glorious Gold Patio paint and then a wash of silver was rubbed over it.  I then darkened the edges of the gold with some Black Soot Distress Ink on an eye shadow applicator. The teardrop shapes were painted with the same metallic teal that I used earlier then have teal crystal rhinestones glued on to each one.  The backing to the 3 openings of the headpiece are cut from packaging plastic and then marbled with alcohol ink in Aqua, Stream and Pool. (They are backed with a lighter aqua paper so that the marbling shows.) I added the backs to the openings as a way to help stabilize the chipboard scrolls and keep them from breaking off.

3. The eye openings have a ring of olive green crystal rhinestones glued around them and the lower edge of the mask has some cording glued on to cover the raw cut edges. More of the teardrop shapes were painted teal and added under each eye opening along with more crystal rhinestones.

4. The finishing touch was to add some antique gold colored chains on the lower part of the mask to dangle around the wearers chin. I also added some lime green and aqua crystals on the lower chain.

12 comments:

Lululiz said...

That mask is just amazing.

Netty said...

This is totally stunning. The lady is really lucky to get this, its beautiful. x

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

Absolutely beautiful---would look lovely worn at Mardi Gras!
Amazing use of technique and color.

XXOO~~♥
Anne

Createology said...

This is beautiful and makes me want to go to Carnivale in Venice. Happy creating...

Elaine A said...

Holy Toledo (I can say that because its my maiden name - LOL)! What an absolutely gorgeous mask! Simply stunning! What a fantastic job you have done creating this masterpiece Val! I love masks and have a couple of papier mache ones I've made as well as polymer clay ones. I am so loving what you've created.

Elaine Allen

Barbara DeLisle said...

This mask is amazing-beautiful!!

Bunny said...

Now that is AMAZING and yes I am shouting. Just GORGEOUS.

Paula said...

WOW, Valerie! Your mask is gorgeous! The color is makes it all the more lovely too! :))

Sue Young said...

Fab Fab Fabulous! Thanks for telling us how you did it!
XO Sue

di said...

Val you are a very generous person - the mask is amazing.

Mary R. said...

OH MYWOW!!! that ia a beauithful Mask......I dont know if i could do one 1/2 that good thank you !! it is alsome.!!


MaryRedford ::: Happy "Hoildays"

Susan said...

absolutely stunning! what do you mean by the "openings" you put plastic behind the eye openings? I am a bit unclear here.
Thanks, Susan