Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Building A Better Mousetrap

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
Front view

This marvelous contraption is for a chunky ATC swap that is going on at my Yahoo group. (A chunky ATC is the same size as a regular one but it is cut from a 2x4.) I love steampunk and the recipient of this one is a huge fan of that genre so I had to do something in this theme for her. Little did I know that it would turn into this major project that I fussed over for 5 days. Because there is so much going on there is no way I could describe it all so I am not even going to try. I will point out some of the details and if you want to know how I did something specific just email me.


Notice how the wires run around to the side to "light" the 2 bulbs. The gear in the slot actually turns.


 Back view showing the mouse cage and the key to unlock the trap. They both come off their hooks as you can see in the photo below.


You can actually turn the key all the way around in the lock. (It doesn't really unlock anything though.) 
The knob below the lock turns too.  


Side view showing the necklace that is displayed. It hangs from the top in a little compartment with a magnet that holds the chain in place. Notice that a wire runs from the front around this side to a small glass bottle. (I think of it as the "secret" energy source to run the mousetrap.) 


 Here's a view of the top which has the compartment that holds the necklace chain. The large wheel is turned by the small pearl handle and opens the ruler lid to reveal the necklace chain.


I'm gonna toot my own horn a little on this one because I am just so tickled that it worked.  While in my workshop I actually stood up, pumped my fist and said to no one in particular "I rock!" after turning the handle and seeing it work properly. (I just love it when a plan comes together.) OK..... er.... ummm.... So I was kinda talking to the dog but I swear he looks at me like he understands. (I know some day he's gonna say something back.)


Here's a view with the necklace chain pulled out of the hidey hole. 

12 comments:

Elaine A said...

AWESOME!!! Val, this is just beautiful! What a phenomenal job you've done creating this masterpiece. Love it!

Elaine Allen

Becky T. said...

You so TOTALLY ROCK!!! I can't believer you made it for a swap! I may have to join that group. I may also have to totally snag this idea and make my own. Rock On, Girly!! :-)

Electra said...

This is so amazing, Val!! Simply spectacular!

PepPop said...

WOW!!!! APPLAUSE!!! Incredible!! I wouldn't even know where to begin to make this. Jaqui x

di said...

This is PHENOMENAL!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I am always struggling trying to explain 'steampunk' to people. I just need a picture of this! It's a perfect description! Beautiful job! Twyla

khrestel said...

It's impossible to describe how amazed I am right now. That's... cool! :)

Juliet A said...

Yes, you are brilliant, but you knew that already. Love it!

Wanda H said...

Oh, ya, you do rock!!! This is totally absolutely amazing!!! Wow!!!!

bobbie said...

Spectacular!!!

Kathi said...

This is absolutely amazing and so ingenious!

~*~Patty S said...

Hello Again ~ This amazing creation is why I got on Google and found you today.

I am in an altered arts group with the VERY lucky recipient, Claudine. Today she let us touch and hold your fabulous Mousetrap...
your ears should have been ringing because we were WOWING and OMGoshing up a storm and I quite agree...YOU DO ROCK !!!
AND you must have a very generous heart because I do not know HOW you were able to part with it!

Great photos too btw
oxo