Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Q is for Quetzal"

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This is the next letter in the Alphabetical Order swap that I host on my Yahoo group every month. The letter is "Q" which is a really tough one. So I whipped out the dictionary I have next to my computer desk and scanned through the meager 5 pages of definitions and this one caught my eye. I have heard of a Quetzal but would have never thought of it for the letter "Q". Below are the details.

1. The background was done on watercolor paper with some faux glimmer mist that I had mixed up from a previous project. (Sorry but I can't remember what the colors were on this one.) I simply sprayed it on and then dropped some kosher salt on it to created the mottled effect.

2. The bird is an image I found on-line and enhanced with colored pencils. I attached it to a sturdy backing paper by running it through my Xyron then I cut it out leaving the long tail off on purpose. I then glued a mixture of green fibers to the tail to simulate the one I cut off. (It is raised up on foam tape to leave room for the fibers.)

3. The leaves are all punched out and then shaded with some colored pencils. Some are raised up on foam tape to create depth.

5 comments:

PepPop said...

Wow I love the tail!! Jaqui x

Heather said...

Wonderful, and so clever of you to come up with a quetzal. I've never heard of this before.

Netty said...

Wow its great and that tail is fab. x

Electra said...

VERY pretty, I too love the tail. A quetzal. who knew?

Mimi Cross said...

Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing the "how to" details.