Saturday, September 11, 2010

Come Into My Parlor

Click on the picture to see a larger view.



As some of you may or may not know I LOVE Halloween! I used to make costumes for me and the hubster every year and we would attend parties and win prizes for said costumes. I love to decorate for Halloween too but since we have lived in this house we have had not one trick or treater in 13 years. (Hence I now no longer decorate the house.) SO all I have left now is to do Halloween art. This little coffin is for a swap on my Yahoo group. They are the most adorable things, as far as coffins go, and they are available at Retro Cafe Art. (Thanks Kristin!) The idea was to decorate them and hinge the lid to hide a creepy surprise inside.

Here are the details of what I did.

1. I assembled the coffin and then painted it all in black acrylic paint.
2. I took some french dictionary pages and sprayed them with Moon Shadow Mist in the color "Bucket O'Blood - Red". (How appropriate!) Then I tipped the page and let it run down to create drips. Once it was dry I lined the bottom of the coffin.
3. I drilled a very teeny tiny hole at the top of the coffin and once I tied a gold spider charm to some black thread I pulled it through the hole and glued it in place. (I later covered it with paper.)
4. I took a transparency and stamped a spider web on it with Staz-On ink in cotton white. Once it was dry I glued it over the coffin after I dropped in some black sand.
5. The inside of the lid I stamped with a Versamark pad and then I rubbed some Pearl Ex mica powder in Reflex Violet over it. Once you wipe it with a soft tissue it leaves the powder stuck to the stamped image.
6. The lid is attached with 2 small pieces of ribbon glued to the side. They are then covered with the same black scroll paper as on the lid.
7. The raised part of the lid is created by using the inside part of the coffin that pops out. I simply covered it with paper and then glued it to the top. (I also blackened the edges with Distress Ink in Black Soot.)
8. I punched a small oval out of orange checkered paper and rubbed the edges with Distress Ink in Rusty Hinge. I glued it to the lid and then glued on a small resin bat I got from a dollhouse miniature company. (The handle is also from the same miniature company.)
9. The box is a small pizza box and I got it when we ordered a pizza from a new place by us. They give you a cutter the first time you order from them and it comes in that box. (NO pizza cheese to clean out.) Anyways it was so adorably cute and the perfect size to mail the coffin so I painted it up and stamped Halloween images all over it. (I first painted it orange and then rubbed the edges with black acrylic paint on a paper towel.)

5 comments:

BLISS angels said...

Very creepy, love it

boo Wendy

Shelly Schmidt said...

Amazing projects- you have decorated them perfectly! TFSS

Electra said...

This is so cool! I'm in the same boat as you, Halloween only happens in my studio now!

June said...

Fabulous work on this one !! Its a wowser !! Love the eyes they are fab peeking out and your coffin is amazing. great work
hugs June xxx

PepPop said...

Love it!! Jaqui x