This is what is called a "chunky ATC". Why? Because it is made from a 2"x 4" and is actually the size of a regular ATC. After a "2 x 4" is planed to make it smooth the measurements end up being 3.5" wide x 1.5" thick. All you do is simply cut the chunks 2.5" and you end up with a piece of wood that is the standard ATC size only it is 1.5" thick. My 2x4 was left over from our house addition so it was full of nails and had a few holes in it. Rather then throwing away the pieces with the holes I decided top use one of them to my advantage. Here are all the details of how I decorated it.
Click on the pictures to see a larger view.1. I painted the entire block with white acrylic so that it didn't suck up a lot of the second coat of paint. I then applied a crackle coat so that the lime green would look old and cracked. Once the lime green was dry I rubbed the edges with Peeled Paint and then a little Black Soot Distress Ink on a blending foam pad.
2. The skeleton arm was cut from a plastic one that I have several of from a Halloween garland. I painted it black then dabbed the white over it to make the individual bones stand out. I then glued it into the hole with 2 part epoxy.
3. The green slime around the skeleton arm was done with a mixture of Diamond Glaze, some green metallic paint and a drop of Crushed Olive Distress Ink. Once it had dried a little so it wasn't so runny I dropped in glass BB's in clear and black iridescent to make it look like it was bubbling. (I let some drip over the edge and down the title.) The poem next to it is the familiar "Double, double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble" from Shakespeare's Macbeth. The edges of the poem are rubbed with Rusty Hinge Distress Ink on a blending foam pad.
4. The "brain" shaker bubble at the top is made by gluing a brain image that is printed on a transparency to the inside of a packaging plastic bubble. I then filled it with some red micro beads and glued a piece of cream paper to the back. Once it was attached to the background I glued black cording around it to cover the edges.
5. The bat was a miniature resin one that I found at an on-line dollhouse miniature store. The "Beware" title was simply cut from some Halloween paper and mounted on foam dots.
1. The side with the "blood" and bugs was very easy to do. I simply glued on some paper that had bugs printed all over it. I then mixed some Fired Brick Distress Ink into some Diamond Glaze and let it run down the side of the block. (I also rubber Black Soot Distress Ink on the edge of the paper with a blending foam pad.)
1. For the back I left the background color and glued on a fence from a new Martha Stewart punch I found at Michael's. I colored it with a white and gray pencils to give it shading. The cat is from an old ad I found and the "moon" is an old stop watch face that I colored with Butterscotch and Sunshine Yellow alcohol ink.
1. The spider web side was also very simple to do. I took some orange swirl paper and glued it to the side and then rubbed some Rusty Hinge Distress Ink along the edge with a blending foam pad.
2. I then stamped an image of a spider web with a Versamark pad and heat embossed it in black.
3. The spider is a small charm and I hung it by poking a hole into the wood with a hat pin then gluing an eye pin into it.
1. The poison bottles are actual mini glass bottles that I already had. The shorter one I filled with Diamond Glaze and a few drops of China Blue Distress Ink. (It was done ahead of time for the charm necklaces and actually took a week or more to dry in the bottle.) The larger bottle has chunks of metallic green decorator sand in it for candlescaping. Both have a small poison label that I printed out and glued on. The labels that they sit on were just printed out and glued on the top of the block.
Here's a good close-up of the bottles.