Sunday, August 22, 2010

"P" is for Peacock

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This 4x4 card is for the monthly Alphabetical Order swap that I host on my Yahoo group. As you can see this has been going on for a while since we are on the letter "P". I chose a peacock as my image to illustrate because I just love the colors of these beautiful birds. Below are the details.

1. The background paper was a very bright neon yellow/ green so I toned it down by rubbing some lime green metallic paint all over it. Then I stamped and embossed with my favorite Anna Griffin stamp with a chartreuse embossing powder.
2. The border along the right side is punched out of brown metallic paper with a Martha Stewart border punch called "wrought iron". I then took a strip of 1/8" red liner tape and ran it along the edge. Once I peeled off the liner I dumped "ultra peacock" glitter on it. I colored the rhinestones myself with Tim Holts alcohol ink in Denim.
3. The metal book plate is also from Tim Holtz but was originally a dark brass color. I wanted it to be brighter so I first took some teal metallic acrylic paint and painted the entire piece. Once it dried slightly I rubbed off the high points to leave the teal in the recessed areas. I then took some Rub-N-Buff in the gold leaf color and rubbed on the high areas with my finger. The title is stamped and embossed with my favorite color of powder Midnight Bronze Obsidian from Lindy's Stamp Gang. If you want some gorgeous 2-toned embossing powder this is the place to get it.
4. The peacock image I found on the internet somewhere and I cut it out after I attached it to some heavy card stock. I then glued a real peacock feather to the tail and added some more rhinestones that I colored myself. (The feather is from the side of the tail rather then the main part that has all the "eyes".)
5. The last thing I added to fill the top left corner was a metal book corner from Tim Holtz. Again it was a dark antique brass color so I did the same treatment to it that I used on the book plate.

8 comments:

Bunny said...

Your work is amazing I love the peacock. Just fantastic.

Netty said...

Oh wow this is fabulous, love it. Annette x

Mimi Cross said...

Valerie, You continue to amaze me. This is one of the loveliest pieces of art I've seen. Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.

FILIGREE MOON said...

Gorgeous! I'm crazy for peacocks, and your new creation is fabulous! ~ Angela

crimsoncat05 said...

this page is absolutely stunning!!! just wonderful!!

Paula said...

BEAUTIFULLY done, Valerie! As always, your work is exquisite. I truly love this piece... as you know, I have an affection for the feathered species. You have quite outdone yourself on this masterful work of art!

Sue Young said...

LOVE the peacock Val! Beautiful!
XO Sue

Ginia said...

I love this Valerie. Peacocks are my favorite!
Virginia
www.virginiawashere.blogspot.com