Friday, August 20, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

This is another set of pages for the Marie Antoinette themed circle journal that I am a part of. These pages are for Marita Kovalik and her theme for the journal is cake. We each have to include a favorite cake recipe along with our page and of course I had to use the saying she is famous for. (Although she really didn't actually say this she is most known for it.) Below each page are the details.

Click on the pictures to see a larger view.
1. The background for both of these pages is digital paper that I designed for myself. (Click here to be taken to the link to download the 12x12 version of the paper.) I wanted something dramatic for the cake page and all of the frames I could find out of german scrap were not big enough. For the first page I simply deleted the layer that had the frame image on it so that is was the background design only.
2. I stamped the Eiffel tower image and some french writing on the background to fill in around the marie image.
3. The wild roses are a stamp that I embossed in antique gold and painted with watercolors then cut out. I traced the edge of the image onto an old french book page and glued it in behind the roses.
4. Marie is from a digital collage sheet that someone gifted to me. (I think it was Lillian.) I made the image larger and then cut her out and attached her to a piece of heavy card stock to make her sturdier. I then embroidered a bunch of french knots along the skirt to look like mini green flowers. I also added crumbled up tissue paper in a gold pattern and plain white to simulate the drapes on the dress. I then took silk ribbon and scrunched it up as I glued it along the skirt edge to make it look like ruffles. The last thing I added after the pearls was some more silk ribbon bows in various places on the dress. OH ... I almost forgot that I added feathers to her head dress that I curled with a sharp pair of scissors. (Just like you would do to curling ribbon.)
5. I stamped an image in the upper left corner and then painted over it with patio paint in gold. (I like this paint because it is nice and creamy and flows well.) I then took some watercolor pencils in a blue gray and shaded along the corner stamp and the wild roses image using a water brush.
6. The bottom border is a punch by EK Success that I shaded with a metallic pink chalk. I then shaded along it with the watercolor pencils and water brush too.
7. The finishing touch is a piece of upholstery trim along the bottom. It may not be easy to see in the photo but to make the gold more prominent I took a Versamark pad and rubbed it along the top of the braid and then heat embossed it with pirate gold.
8. The title is on antique gold paper that I stamped and embossed first with more of the pirate gold then I cut all different letters from practically ever alphabet set I own. They are then coated with a glossy varnish.


1. The background image of the frame was colored with a light pink pencil to give it more shading. I also took more of the gold patio paint and watered it down to fill in the lattice work area of the frame. The inside of the oval is shaded with more of the blue gray. I took a border stamp and stamped it onto more of the old french book page then embossed it in antique gold. I also shaded it with the blue gray and also added some sage green to the other side. The edges are rubbed with Distress ink in Victorian Velvet. I glued a piece of sage green trim along the inside of the oval and covered the ends with a small satin ribbon bow.
2. The cake is cut out of thin chipboard and the covered with quilt batting. I then took cream shantung silk and covered the cake form. (I used my sewing machine to stitch between each layer to give it some dimension.)I decorated the cake with lace, pearls, satin ribbon roses and a french ombre ribbon in sage green. The cake plate is an image I found on the internet.


Here are my recipe cards for something called Free Range Fruitcake (Click here to get the recipe from Alton Brown). I know everyone always jokes about fruitcake during Christmas time but I make this every year for my dad and he loves it. (So does my husband so I have to hide the loaf I make so he doesn't eat it.)

1. I printed the recipe on the cards and colored the stamped image of the cake that Marita stamped on every card. I rubbed the edges with Distress ink in Sage green and then stamped some images on the front and back in Frayed Burlap Distress ink.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Valerie, this set is GORGEOUS!!! I LOVE the recipe cards .... they would make cooking/baking so much more fun! :)))

Electra said...

The cake is SPECTACULAR! (but they are all lovely, as always)