Friday, August 27, 2010

Confessions of a Shop-A-Holic

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This is another set of pages for a Marie Antoinette circle journal. This one belongs to Sox from Canada and her theme for her journal is Marie's secret journal. It's something that she kept to write her little secrets in and we are supposed to write about one and then do some art to go with it. I chose the confession of shopping too much. Something I have actually struggled with for a long time. Anyways here are the details.

1. The letter is completely computer generated. I printed it all out and then added the roses that I hand cut from another image that I printed out.

2. The background of the page with Marie on it is simply some Anna Griffin scrapbook paper that I rubber the edges with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink. I also stamped a few images with a dye ink pad by Ancient Page in a Sandalwood color. The lace is a an antique piece from my personal stash that I added to the corner. Along the bottom I stamped a border in Stormy Sky Distress ink. I then took a piece of white german scrap and rubbed it with a little Antique Linen Distress ink on a sponge applicator.

3. The image of Marie is something I have from Luna Girls and I printed her out as she came. I made her skirt from a handkerchief that I cut in half and gathered. I left the finished edge of the hanky so I wouldn't have to hem her skirt.

4. For the sash I took some wider silk embroidery ribbon and wrapped it around and then through a small silver buckle I had. I left a couple of tails and put on 2 halves of a bow on one side of the buckle. (I also made the bow around her neck out of white silk ribbon.)

5. Her hat has a small piece of a silver charm that I cut off of an earring "finding". I added some black iridescent feathers that I curled with a sharp pair of scissors.

6. Her shopping bags I made myself from scraps of scrapbooking paper and some embroidery floss. I added some labels to the bags which are actually vintage perfume label images. (They even have a little wad of tissue paper peeking out of the top of each bag.)

7. The final touches were a couple of boutique signs that I stamped on some cream card stock using the Ancient Page ink in Sandalwood. I also cut a couple of corner designs with my Sizzix out of gold paper embossed with gold powder.

12 comments:

Netty said...

This is brilliant. Annette x

Tami said...

Absolutely amazing!!!
I swear you have more talent in your pinkie then most of us have in our whole soul.
Great job Val!
I love looking at your work.

Elaine A said...

Val -

You can't see me, but I am on my knees bowing to your genius! Your journal entry is just magnificent! I love all the detail you've added and what you have done to Marie is just simply beautiful! Wonderful, wonderful job. Thank you so very much for sharing this with us.

Elaine Allen

Socrates said...

Absolutely mind blowing. You are such a star. The idea is hilarious, but the realization is stunning. Happy me! I'm so grateful you made this beautiful spread for my book. Thank you.

Joanne said...

Amazing work. So clever in every way.
Luv Joanne xx

Goodling said...

Val, you get an A+ for your in depth detailing of steps and products used in creating these glorious pages for Sox. So unbelievable the detail right down to the paper crumpled in her shopping bags!!! A++++++ for your incredible art!
XXO Gina G

Kim said...

It's gorgeous Valerie! I also shop too much and I loved that you made that into a journal page. Hugs!

sue Young said...

SACRE BLEU!!!You're at it again!!!!!!LOVE the shopping bags and her dress especially. all Hail the Queen (VAL!)
XO Sue

lee said...

FABULOUS!!!!!!!

paperqueen said...

Oh my, Val, you've done it again! I just love the way you combine creativity, technical genius, great humor, and overall talent to come up with one fantastic page after another.
I'm just not sure how much of a secret Marie's spending was. LOL!
Kudos!
Eileen

FILIGREE MOON said...

fabulous! ~ Angela

Mimi Cross said...

Genius! Absolute genius!

Patty