These 2 pages are for another "I Dream In Colors" journal and this one belongs to Eileen Bellomo. Her colors are blue and green and since they made me think of the ocean I decided to go steam punk and make a Sunken Treasure Finder.
Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This first page is the treasure locator. It has a map underneath the frame and an arm with a magnifying lens on it that can be moved to almost anywhere on the page. In the center of the small gear on the left side of the frame is a small compass that actually works. Here are the rest of the details for this page.
1. The map is made to look old by placing a piece of packaging plastic over it that was scratched and sanded. I then colored the back with alcohol inks in pebble, sandal and metallic pearl to make it look dirty and aged. (The map is actually a depth map for fishing that I found on-line.)
2. The frame was drawn out by hand and then cut from chipboard in 2 layers. I then painted it with my favorite faux metal patina paints called Sophisticated Finishes. (You can find them in Michael's.) I used the rich gold metal finish with the blue and green patina solution. I then brought back the gold by highlighting it with some gold leaf Rub-N-Buff.
3. I also designed the arm and drew it out freehand and cut it from heavy chipboard. (I finished it with the same finish as the frame.) I then punched holes and inserted antique gold brads to look like rivets in the frame.
4. The clock hands on the right hand corner are real ones that I bought in a clock kit. They were originally black so I rubbed some gold leaf Rub-N-Buff.
5. The lens on the end of the arm is a die from Sizzix that I cut from chipboard and painted to match the rest of the frame and arm. I glued a piece of heavy packaging plastic to the back of it then filled the front with Diamond Glaze.
The second page is the control panel and engine for the compass and locator of the first page. The gears are from a McDonald's toy giveaway for the movie "City Of Ember". It was a bunch of these gears that fit onto a board and when you spin one gear they all turn. I wanted to use all the gears the same way as they fit on the board but by the time I painted them and tried to mount them on a "test" board they didn't mesh as well as they used to and it didn't turn at all.
Here are the rest of the details.
1. The background is done using some more of the Sophisticated Finishes paint. This time I used the Blackened Bronze metallic paint with the patina blue solution. It doesn't show very well in the photo but it is a wonderful deep teal blue color.
2. The gears are finished the same as the frame and arm on the first page. I had to sand them first because the chipboard had a high gloss finish on it. I then glued various gears and clock parts over the center of each gear because they were only thin paper where it fit over the original chipboard pegs. (I didn't want the paper to rip when I attached them with some metal brads.)
1. I used a die cut frame and glued three layers together to make it nice and deep. I inserted a gold mesh between the first and second layer to create a "heat" cover to keep someone from getting burned on the hot engine. (I have quite an imagination don't I?) I used the same paints as the frame and arm on the first page.
2. The tubing to the engine cover is black rubber tubing that is for making necklaces out of. I simply found the correct size wire to insert in the tubing and stuck the end into the soft chipboard. A small gold washer makes it look like an authentic connection.
3. The lights on top are a trick I have used many times now. In case you haven't seen it before they are small christmas tree lights that are glued into .22 caliber spent bullet casings that I get up-north at the gun range.
4. The gas pressure chamber (the translucent tube below the engine cover.) is made from a piece of an ink tube from a gel pen. (They tend to be bigger then regular ink pens.) I glued a couple of pieces from a stopwatch into each end and inserted a copper wire through it.
5. The actual engine is just a bunch of watch parts glued to a black piece of card stock and then it is glued to the back of the third die cut frame.
6. The background for this section is a piece of black craft metal that I ran through the Sizzix in an embossing folder that looks like diamond plate. I then sanded it with a nail buffer to remove some of the black coating.
1. The rectangular piece is all balsa wood that I cut with a craft knife and glued together. I then painted it with the Sophisticated Finishes paint in copper with the patina blue solution.
2. The gauge is a small gold ring that I glued a piece of heavy packaging plastic to and then glued the photo of a gauge to the back. I then filled the front with Diamond Glaze.
3. The 3 small tubes on the left side are actually old radio resistors that I painted with acrylic paint and then a high gloss varnish. The wire leads are just pushed into the soft balsa wood and also through the page.
4. The 2 small knobs under the gauge are actually knobs that you wind a watch with. I poked them into the soft wood with a little glue to keep them in.
Eileen asked everyone to make a sign -in tag with all their info on it for her to do something with. I made mine from a Tim Holtz die cut and finished it with the same Sophisticated Finishes paint. I hung the gold crab charm on it as well because I like it and it seems to fit well with the theme of the 2 pages.
Well I hope Eileen likes it. It took a while but I think it is one of my better journal pages to date so far.