Click on the picture to see a larger view.
These 2 projects are the next installment for a chunky book swap with the Alice in Wonderland theme that is being hosted on my Yahoo group. The themes we could choose from were either the Mad Hatter, The tea party or Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. For this one I had to choose the Mad Hatter. I love costume that Johhny Depp wears as this character in the new movie but I didn't want to use his image as it was. (In fact I used someone else's face altogether.) I knew I wanted to use the phrase "we are all crazy here" but I wanted the Hatter to be more sinister looking then all of Johhny's photos were.
Here are the rest of the details.
1. The background is done on watercolor paper that I smeared with an Adiraondack ink pad in "citrus". I then took a wet brush and blended the ink a little to smooth it out. I stamped a swirl pattern in metallic lime green ink and distressed the edges with Tim Holtz's Distress ink in "Spiced Marmalade".
2.I enhanced the image of the Hatters face in Photoshop by adding very green eyes and smudging hot pink under the eyes and lavender on the eyelids.
3. The hair and eyebrows is fiber that I combed out and glued to the sides of the head.
4. The hat is cut out of chipboard and has a piece of black and gold metallic fabric glued around it. The fabric was permanently wrinkled and I left it that way.
5. The hat band is made from several pieces of hot pink organza that I folded and layered.
6. For the hat band decorations I took an old ripped piece of black lace and rubbed antique gold Rub-N-Buff over it. I then glued several feathers on top of it. (Some of the feathers I curled like ribbon by using my scissors.) The ornament is a resin sticker from Jolee's that I antiqued with black paint and then glued a purple rhinestone onto it.
7. The "stick pins" I made myself from beads and head pins which are glued into the hat band.
8. The teacup on the other page is simply a pattern I traced from a teacup image I found on the internet. I cut it out of white paper and shaded it myself with chalk and colored pencils.
9. The table clothe is a harlequin pattern stamp from Tim Holtz that I rubbed with "rusty hinge" Distress ink to make it look worn. The lettering is from a alphabet die cut set from Quickutz.
For the Alice ATC I used an image I found on the internet and used a Photoshop filter on it to make it look more like it was painted. The background is a harlequin stamp on black paper with black embossing powder. I cut the checkerboard pattern from paper and attached pearls to the white squares. The letters are an alphbet die cut set from Sizzix.