Sunday, June 13, 2010

"N" Is For Nest

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
This 4" x 4" card is for the "Alphabetical Order" swap that is held every month on my Yahoo group. It goes to Susan Guzy who is having a rough time in her life right now so I hope that this card sheers her up. Believe it or not this card was done all with scraps left over from other projects. Here are the details of the work.

1. The background is a sheet of scrapbooking paper that I rubber Distress Ink on in frayed burlap on to age it. I originally started with a watercolor paper that was washed with a nice aqua so it would look like a bright summer sky. Once I got the other elements finished I decided that the aqua background was too bright and went with the scrapbook paper.

2. The bird image I had printed off for another project and was not used. I tend to print more then one selection when it comes to images because once I get creating I don't know which I will want or like the best. I only had to tear the edges and chalk them.

3. The nest is made by taking a piece of chipboard cut into a circle that size that I wanted the finished nest to be. I then took pieces from a mini nest that I had torn apart before and laid them onto the chipboard. I punched holes with an awl in certain spots and then wired the branches to the chipboard. I did this because using a nest as it came out of the package would have been too bulky.

4. The eggs are plastic and simply cut in half using a craft knife. (Yes they too were left over from another project.) They were already colored a light blue with alcohol ink so I wiped it off using the c leaner. (It left them a faint blue still but I liked the color so I left it.) I then took espresso alcohol ink and spattered the eggs. Since the eggs are hollow, they are held on with very big glue dots that are rolled up inside them.

5. I finished the card by adding a small strip of sheet music, ribbon, buckle and the title. (Yes these were all scraps too.) I then took some of the frayed burlap Distress Ink on a water brush and brushed it around the letters to make them stand out from the background more.

4 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

This is a beautiful card Val!

Electra said...

Holy moley, I'm just sitting here with my mouth open that you made the nest and eggs. Beautiful!!

angelshair said...

You are really talented!!!

Lori said...

Wowza, this is a wonderful card, the nest and eggs was pure genius, (not to mention a lot of work), and I love the torn bird page and the inking around the letters, GORGEOUS!