Monday, June 21, 2010

Charms Galore

Click on the picture to see a larger view.


I have been busy again with charms but this time they are for an upcoming swap I am having on my Yahoo group. I wanted to be prepared since the last charm swap had 48 people signed up. I made a charm for everyone back then and I wanted to do it for this one too simply because I want one of each of the charms that come in. Selfish I know but I just love charms.

Here are all the details on how I did them.

1. The top set of charms is a simple wooden school ruler. I pulled the metal strip out of it and cut it into 1" sections. (See if you can spot where I used the metal strip later on in another set of charms.) The bottom row of ruler pieces are metal leafed because I didn't want to cover up the original writing on the ruler. The top row has various pieces and parts attached to the ruler with very teeny tiny, eeny weeny brass screws. The middle row of ruler pieces have wooden shapes glued to the ruler. I added the words to them by using a set of metal alpha punches usually used for marking metal. Then I painted them black making sure to get the paint down into the letters. I then took Rub-N-Buff and lightly rubbed it over the shape with my finger making sure not to get it into the letters.

2. The "faux" ceramic pieces are actually made from polymer clay. I took white clay and rolled it out and doubled it over then stamped various rubberstamps into the clay to leave impressions. I baked them and then smeared liquid polymer clay into the impressions that was colored with alcohol inks. (YEAH.... I found a new use for alcohol inks.) I lightly wiped off the excess liquid clay with my fingers to make the white show up more. I then baked them a second time and glazed them all with glossy varnish.

3. The last set of charms are made from bullet casings. On my recent trip up north I was able to collect 2 more huge baggies of bullet casings. For the top set I took about 3" lengths of various fibers all in the same color family and folded them over a piece of 20 gauge wire. I then twisted the wire around to create a loop and then squished it tight to hold the fibers. I jammed the end into the bullet casing and up through a hole I had drilled previously and made another loop to hang them by. The bottom set of bullet casings use that piece of metal that I pulled out of the rulers. (Were you able to spot it?) I folded a 2"piece in half and then curled the ends in to resemble a heart. Then I hung them on a jump ring and then an eyepin which was threaded through a hole drilled in the top and looped over to hang them from. Each bullet casing then has a small strip of french writing from an old book glued around the top. (I varnished the bullets to make sure the paper would stay glued on.)

12 comments:

Elaine A said...

Hi Val -

I don't think you wanting one of each incoming charm a bit selfish at all. I think you are just into collecting beautiful little pieces of art. AND speaking of art, I adore your charms. They are just beautiful! I find it hard to believe that the "faux" ceramic pieces are polymer clay. What a fabulous technique. I know a lot of people will be very happy to receive your charms.

Elaine Allen

Lululiz said...

You come up with the most fantastic ideas, wow, these are amazing!

Redfish Artwork by Vickie Fisher said...

So clever...these are amazing. What Yahoo group is it? Think I want to join it!!!

Lori said...

Wow, fantastic ideas! I just love the rulers, the clay, the bullet casings, heck, I love them all!

Paula said...

Valerie, your charms are exquisite! My, you have been busy! The faux tile charms fooled me, they looked like the real thing! So very pretty! All ingenuous ideas!

Netty said...

Fabulous. Annette x

Amaco said...

Love the charms, and love how you incorporated AMACO's Rub 'n Buff product! These are adorable - now I want to get in on the swap! I'd like to feature these on the AMACO Facebook and Twitter pages.

Createology said...

Over the moon fabulous charms my dear. How creative and clever you are. I think you should have one of every charm available! Happy creating...

Electra said...

These are really wonderful-you are so imaginative, now, let's see, where are my bullets...

paperqueen said...

Val, I LOVE your charms, every single one of them!
Eileen

Marilyn Harris Mills aka Maer said...

Wow these are beautiful....what a lot of work. Thanks for sharing...I learned something!!

connieartz said...

OMGosh, Val! These are SO fun!!! I've been in a few charm swaps in the past, but I have to say the ones on your blog make me want to join another. Yes. It's offical. I must own a few of your future charms :)