Friday, May 7, 2010

Through The Eyes Of An Artist

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

This is another installment for a circle journal. This one is for Eileen Bellomo who happens to be one of the ladies I met recently in Florida. I picked this saying because she is a designer for Paper Imagery and does a lot of teaching. Somehow I just thought it was appropriate for her.

Here are some of the details of how I did the pages.

1. The backgrounds were done by creating a wash of medium blue using the Tim Holtz Distress ink called Stormy Sky. Once it was dry I stamped images covering both pages using a Versamark pad and heat embossed it with clear powder. I then took and mixed my own Glimmer Mist using the Tim Holtz recipe to create a navy blue spray. (I used Chipped Sapphire, a couple drops of Black Soot and Perfect Pearls Blue Patina.) I sprayed both pages down and then wiped the ink off the clear embossed images. The effect was to create a batik look but I was unhappy with the high contrast. I wanted a more subtle effect so I then proceeded to iron off all the clear embossing powder onto scrap paper using a hot iron. I tried to color over the light blue ink with some of the dark blue but no matter how much I ironed the embossing powder still protected the light blue images. My solution was to then mix a dark blue acrylic paint and wipe it over the embossing powder. (problem solved.) Of course it's hard to see all this from the photos but it's all there. You can see some of the swirls and diamond pattern on the second page. The first page shows mostly just a bunch of spattered images.

2. The women is an image by Alphonse Mucha and was part of an ad for Biscuits. I liked the image because she has a paintbrush in her hand. Since she was only the image you see pictured she wasn't big enough to cover the page like I wanted so I covered the bottom of the page with a page from an old book and inked it with Distress ink.

3. I glued a piece of trim along the bottom and left the ends all ragged rather then wrap them around the back.

4. I took many sizes of white paper flowers and sprayed them with various colors of Glimmer mist that I mixed myself. I then rubberstamped and embossed over some of them in darker colors. The centers of the flowers are filled with something called Element Earth Textures by Barb Trombley. It's really cool ground up elements that can be used as natural "glitter" for lack of a better term. Things like carrots, coffee, herbs, corn. They smell so good and make really natural textures for things like the center of flowers.

5. Before gluing it all down I stamped and embossed some images on the backgrounds using Lindy's Stamp Gang embossing powder in Midnight Sapphire Obsidian. The leaves are from a EK Success punch out of copper and gold metallic paper.

6. On the second page I rusted some of the new Tim Holtz "Alterations"dies by Sizzix with the fabulous Sophisticated Finishes of iron metallic surfacer and rust patina. (It's real iron particles suspended in an acrylic medium that rust when the patina is applied.) You can buy this paint at Michael's or use the Drunken Scotch technique to create your rusted look.


6 comments:

Christine's Beadworks said...

Your art work is amazingly beautiful. I love how you detail what you used as well, it sends me off on a hunt that's always fun.

Linda525 said...

These pages a stunning! I envy the lucky recipient of these pages. Thanks for sharing your techniques and the products you used.

Paula said...

Just lovely, Valerie ... the colors, intricate detail, and wistful story are a delight to the eyes!

Elaine A said...

Val -

This is just beautiful! Eileen is going to go crazy over it! FABULOUS!

Elaine Allen

Sue Young said...

Hi Val!I love the explanation on how you did these 2 pages.As you might guess,I love your use of the Mucha image.Great job! XO Sue

paperqueen said...

Well, I'm the lucky recipient, and my journal just returned home to me after about 14 months on the road.
If you can believe it, as gorgeous as Val's pages are on her blog, they are even MORE BEAUTIFUL in person!
You can't imagine the detail, the texture, well, all of it.
Just a fabulous work of art.
Thanks Val!
Eileen
PS And you DID pick just the right sentiment for me.