Monday, May 24, 2010

I Dream In Colors

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

I had these pages done last week and kept forgetting to post them. They are for Carla Hayes and are part of the I Dream in Colors circle journal. Carla's colors are ochre, burnt umber, brick red and grey. Very subdued but pretty colors to work with. Here are the details on what I did.

1. The first background page was actually a leftover from another project. I had used the "Garden Lattice" Tattered Angels stencil to make a background for another project and I didn't want to waste all the pigment that I had sprayed all over the stencil. I grabbed the nearest piece of paper to blot the ink off with and it happened to be an old book page. The stencil made such a clear print that I decided to keep it for a future project and it happened to fit in Carla's color scheme. From there I simply colored the heart in using Tim Holtz Distress inks in Fired Brick and Aged Mahogany. The edge is colored with Scattered Straw and Mustard Seed. I highlighted the stencil print with a white colored pencil and shadowed the saying with a black one.

2. The background for the second page is a piece of rice paper that I crumpled up and then sprayed with Distress ink in Scattered Straw and Mustard Seed. Once I uncrumpled it and dried it with my heat gun I rubbed it with the Scattered Straw to make the creases stand out.

3. I took a piece of sheet music and crumpled it up and then loosely glued it down to keep the crumpled look. To make it appear to be floating off the background I shadowed the edges with a pencil and rubbed it out with my fingers to soften it.

4. The bird is a Sizzix die cut that I covered with some metallic paper that was already wrinkled. (Sorry but the die is discontinued.) I simply hit the high parts of the paper with a lighter metallic paint to highlight them. Before I glued the paper to the chipboard bird I glued real feathers to the edges of both wings. (Compliments of an old feather duster.)

5. The lace was an old piece I had that I dyed with more Distress ink in the Fired Brick color. The hearts are metal and I colored them with alcohol ink before I glued them down. The film strip is another Tim Holtz embellishment that I colored the one frame with more alcohol ink and positioned it over the word "love" from the sheet music.

6. The swirls on the top part of the page are cut from packaging plastic (Tim Holtz dies from Sizzix.) I then colored the back of them with alcohol ink in Butterscotch and Caramel colors.

7. The border punch on the bottom is called "Acathus Leaf" and is made by EK Success. I then glued a lamp shade trim over it and covered that with some vintage silk ric-rack. The stamp in the upper corner is from a clear set called "Venice" made by 7 Gypsies.

5 comments:

June said...

Gorgeous and i really love those colours but your designs are so inspiring
hugs June xxx

Janet Ghio said...

I really love the page with the bird and the beading at the bottom--wonderful!

Myrna said...

Wow these are great detailed cards. Very pretty.
Myrna

Sue Young said...

Hi Val!Carla's page is wonderful,especially how the stencil turned out!it looks quite thick!Lovely job!
XO Sue

paperqueen said...

Wonderful pages, Val! I also loved working with Carla's colors. Am sad, though, that I won't get to see them, as I've already done Carla's journal.
Eileen