Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Retreat Journal

So in a couple of weeks I will be going to Florida. WHY??? you may ask..... Well let me tell you why. An on-line friend that I am in the circle journals with is having 12 of us over to her house as a little get together so we can finally meet face to face. All of us will be sharing various techniques that have been requested by other members. One of the things I am bringing is a small journal made out of coin envelopes for each of us to decorate while we are there. (I thought using the coin envelopes as pages would be fun because we can put things we collect on the trip in the envelopes.)


Click on the picture to see a larger view.
The frame is holding a logo that I designed especially for this art retreat and another of the girls is having it printed on t-shirts for us to wear. The frame and the key are made using the technique I showed recently called Drunken Scotch. The frame is actually a shaker box too. (Notice the small punchart key. )


With the journal open you can see the coin envelopes as the pages. I left the back of each one undecorated because Elena has a "Pogo" camera that we can take photos of each other while we are there. This cool camera is like a Polaroid but the photos are only about 2" square.


Here is the first page and to decorate it I took a map I printed of the Florida Keys and glued it to the page. I then put a small magnifying lens over it so the name "Key Largo" was readable. The arrow is also made using the Drunken Scotch technique.


This next page I glued a library sign in card to because I thought it would be cool for all the artists at the retreat to sign the journals.


This page is decorated with a piece of paper that has text on it sprayed with Tim Holtz's glimmer mist recipe over a stencil.


This page is decorated with a stamped compass image from Tattered Angels that I colored with markers. (The border punch along the ivory paper is by Martha Stewart.)


This page ended up being a happy accident. After spilling some Moon Shadow mist on this page in the wrong color I covered it up by painting walnut ink over the whole page then spattering on a metallic lime green. It actually made the embossed image stand out better.






These pages are all decorated with stamped and embossed images collaged together. The money was some smaller sized play money that looked like the real thing.


The background on this page is a stamped and embossed image using clear powder on an ivory paper. The I took some aqua and lime green metallic paint and rubbed it over the paper. The embossed areas don't stick to the paint so it appears ivory from the paper underneath.

10 comments:

paperqueen said...

Gorgeous, Val, and THANK YOU so much for doing this! Can't wait til the 14th!
Eileen

FILIGREE MOON said...

Such a clever journal you've created. The envelopes will certainly contain all kinds of treasures from your trip to Florida. Have a great time! ~ Angela

Sandie said...

A Fabulous piece of work,I love it.
I want to say thank-you for all those fab images you offer up as freebies, I have quite a few of them that I have saved. Here is my blog where you can see I have used one of your images for an atc.
Thanks again.....Sandie http://sandiesspace.blogspot.com/2010/04/memories-atc.html

Janet Ghio said...

Your little journal is wonderful and I'm am sure you will have a fabulous time meeting all your art friends at Elena's house in Key largo!!!

Susan said...

OK, I am OFFICIALLY green! LOL
Have fun, wish I was joining you all.
Susan

Heavens2Betsy said...

This will be such a beautiful keepsake of your special trip. I look forward to seeing it filled with your memorabilia. Such a lovely idea x

craftyM said...

I'm at a loss for words Val! Saying this is phenomenal just doesn't seem to even be enough! It's soooooooo cool! I LOVE IT!!! And so exciting to know that we all will get to come home with one! A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU!
Miss Impatient ;-)

Elena said...

This is gorgeous Val!!! What a great memento of our trip!

Socrates said...

What a stupendous book! You did an awesome job with it and it looks just delightful. I love how you do those stamps and great colors.

The Wife said...

What a beautiful gift and how treasured it will be.