Monday, March 8, 2010

Marie's Closet

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
I just finished this journal cover yesterday for a new circle journal group I am in. For this one the theme is Marie Antoinette and we can choose to do a theme of our own for each of our journals. Since I am a sewer from way back and I LOVE shoes I decided my theme would be Marie's closet. That means that whoever works in the journal will interpret that theme however they want by doing clothing or jewelry or hats or whatever you might find in Marie's closet.

To make Marie I started with a collage sheet image that was only her upper torso. I freehand cut the skirt and gathered some lace I pulled off an old french souvenir pillow. I cut out her dress top from more pink paper and glued it over the collage image which was originally royal blue. Her hair-do is what took me the longest to do and is made from curly lambs wool with silk ribbon, silk roses, a small bird and a feather that I curled with sharp scissors. I added more lace around each sleeve, the neckline, and the bottom of the skirt as well as a small beaded trim. The blue frame is a piece of clipart that I printed out and glued to a piece of chipboard. I then glued a piece of ivory cording around the outside along with corner pieces of german scrap. The book plate that holds the lettering is painted gold with the Sophisticated Finishes paint that I LOVE so much and then with the green patina finish.


If you look closely you can see the bird in her hair that I mentioned in the above paragraph. Be sure and also look in her hand at the small shoe that she is holding.


This page is a holder for all of the sign in tags that I hope each player will complete for me. I am including the pattern and directions as well as the sample shoe pictured in hopes that they will decorate one for me. I made the holders by cutting down a 12x12 page protector and sewing on my sewing machine. The strips of pink paper you see at the top of the page are actually covering magnetic strips that will hold the openings closed and keep the shoes from falling out of the protector.

12 comments:

prutsels said...

Very nice, you seem to think of everything. Love her hair!

Anonymous said...

Lovely! Especially admire the way you did her hair!!
Rolin

Anonymous said...

Wow this is fantastic. I love it. This is the kind of stuff I love. Cindy W

June said...

Beautiful and so elegant too
hugs June xxxxx

Debra McWilliam said...

This is breathtaking! Gorgeous, with so many intricate details~
I absolutely love it.

Elaine A said...

Val -

Exquisite! What a remarkable job you have done with this. So much detail, amazing. She is just beautiful.

Elaine Allen

Paula said...

Oh Valerie, she is simply GORGEOUS! Your attention to detail is exquisite and masterful!

paperqueen said...

She is gorgeous, and I applaud both your talent and your patience!
Eileen

Susan said...

when did you post this, I would have loved to join?
Susan

1CardCreator said...

What a lovely journal, I have never seen one like this before. Thanks for sharing ~Diane

Anonymous said...

Hey Val,
It's your Sis. It's been a while since I've visited your site, and it's always so much fun to see what you've been up to. I just love the Marie Antoinette cover - WOW! You are so talented and patient. I cannot believe that you have the patience to make sure that every last detail is perfect. Keep up the fanastic work. You obviously inspire so many to do beautiful art!
Love ya! Andrea

PepPop said...

Wow this must have taken ages to make. Love the hair. Fantastic. Jaqui x