Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Drunken Scotch Technique

What is this you may ask? Well yesterday when I visited my on-line friend Eileen's blog she mentioned this technique in passing and I was very curious. (She had no explanation on how to do it.) So I went searching on the web and found several sites that explained what it was. It is a very cool technique to make things look like they are rusty using Scotch Clear Glue and alcohol inks. (Hence the name "Drunken Scotch".) Well I didn't have the Scotch Clear Glue mentioned to try this with so I went to my workshop to experiment with other glues.



Here is what it looks like.

Click on the picture to see a larger view.


Here are the simple directions to do this technique.

1. Cover the object you want to "rust" with your water based glue. (Never try this with solvent based glues.) A pretty thick coat works better then a thin coat. It doesn't have to be even since it will bubble up anyways. I used only chipboard but see what else may work.

2. Drop 2 to 3 colors of alcohol ink onto the glue. It will react with the water in the glue and spread over all the surface.

3. Give it a few seconds to dry and then hit it with a heat gun. Keep the gun on it until it bubbles up. Be careful not to let the bubbles pop or the ink color will have holes in it that will reveal the chipboard color beneath.

4. You can keep drying it until it stops bubbling or if it is taking a long time let it dry a little on it's own. If any of the bubbles have not sunk back to the surface just pat them down with your fingers. (BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO BURN YOURSELF!!)


Click on the picture to see a larger view and read the details of each sample.
These are the results of the various glues that I had available. (Earlier today I bought some Scotch clear glue and some Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue to see if clear glues reacted differently.) I had the best overall results with Aleene's Tacky Glue but I think any kind of plain old white glue will work. The 2 that you should stay away from unless you want a look full of "holes" is Diamond Glaze and Mod Podge. I also tried using other brighter colors to see how they would look and I had mixed results. (The metallic alcohol inks didn't work at all.) If you leave the chipboard it's plain color it will dull the brighter inks, so I painted the chipboard white and it helped the colors pop out. I personally didn't like any of the other color combinations as much as the "rusty" ones.

13 comments:

Dragonlady said...

Wow, great technique...thanks so much for sharing your results..
hugs
Brenda

CreativSpirit said...

Hi Valerie,

I came here from Paper Friendly. I love this technique and your experiments, thanks so much. I am off to my studio to try this technique out now. I have bookmarked your site and will be back.

Robyne in Australia

Paula said...

Very interesting and very pretty! I look forward to seeing what you creative with your newly found technique!

La Petite Maison Blanche said...

Well, you've left no stone unturned! They all look pretty cool--thanks for doing all the testing! What a cool technique!

Elaine A said...

Hi Val -

Great technique. Thanks for the blow-out photo of all the different glues you tested!

Elaine Allen

Danise said...

Five star!
You are such a sweetie for taking the time to (as usual)show us the many different techniques.
Big hugs ! Oh yeah!

Heavens2Betsy said...

Wow - fantastic results - thanks for sharing this technique.

Jan said...

I know what I'm going to be experimenting with today. Thanks for sharing this technique.

paperqueen said...

Don't know if it was my blog you saw it on, but I've been obsessed with this technique lately.
I've been doing it with non-rust colors and like it! Come back to my blog and see my drunken scotch butterfly.
Eileen

Sherry said...

if the glues pop, perhaps you could paint the chipboard a base color and then do this after it dries

Valerie B. said...

Yes I did do that on one of the chipboard pieces and it made the colors brighter. It is especially good if you are using the brighter colors not associated with a "rusty" look. I bet a gold or copper metallic would look really good under the "rust"

Von said...

These results are so informative thank you so much for taking the trouble and bet you enjoyed every minute of it :)

Artifice said...

Great technique! Thanks for posting tutorial and such fantastic samples with descriptions!

Linda
greiss@bellsouth.net