Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Cuckoo, Cuckoo, cuckoo...."

Click on the picture to see a larger view.


I just finished this little gem for an altered matchbox swap on my Yahoo group. This is the first one I have ever done and I LOVE the way it turned out. I have no idea where the idea for the cuckoo clock came from. I really wanted to make it so the bird was on a spring so that he would "pop" out when the drawer was slid open but I couldn't make it work smoothly.

Anyways the box is cover in paper that I aged to look like old wood using several colors of Distress ink. The scroll work pieces are die cuts made by Provo Craft for the Cuttlebug. The little pine cone weights I made myself out of polymer clay. The little bird inside is a resin one that I found in the "dollhouse" miniature aisle of Hobby Lobby. To get the gable part of the house I just covered the front and back of the matchbox with a piece of heavy card stock in that shape. The roof is just another strip that is folded over the edges and cut with a pair of scalloped scissors.

6 comments:

Linda Dunn said...

You are so creative that it kills me! Thank you for sharing this masterpiece.

Effie said...

That's pretty cool!

Elaine A said...

This is great Val! I love it - never seen anything like it before.

Elaine Allen

crimsoncat05 said...

I love, love, love this!!!

Juliet A said...

This is absolutely brilliant - I love it!

eebeads.com said...

Amazing, just love it!