Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Silver Screen, Some Emeralds and the Sea

Click on the pictures to see larger view.



I have finished the final 3 Ladies for the Lucky Lady Dip swap #3. (What a mouthful.) The other lady was the "Queen of Hearts" that was posted a while ago. Anyways the other 3 I picked were "Star of the Silent Screen", "Emerald Princess". and "Queen Neptune". Hope you enjoy them!

Thursday, February 5, 2009

A New ATC Group

I have been keeping a small secret for a few days now and I think it is time to share it. I have started a new ATC group on Yahoo and it is called....(wait for it)... The Sum Of All ATC's. (Go figure.) I was asked by someone if I had ever thought about it and the honest answer at first was no I really hadn't. But that got me thinking. Why not? That way I could do things the way I wanted and since I will be closing my punchart group it will fill a gap that has been open for a while. It will be a group mostly for ATC swaps but there will be other kinds of swaps that are closely related. Things like inchies, MOO's, altered books or other altered stuff, Art dolls, treasure boxes and whatever else I can think of. It is open to everyone of all skill levels and I want it to be a friendly environment that is cozy and comfy and a good place to learn things.

So if you want to head on over and become a member here is the link. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSumOfAllATCs/

I will have to approve everyone that wants to become a member but it is a simple process. If you have any questions please Email me!

A Larger Dragonfly Engine

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

I loved the first "Dragonfly Engine" that I did so much that I had to make one for myself. I did this one a little larger and it is made from a piece of wood about 4" x 5.5". I covered it in this leather fabric that I ripped off of an old sewing machine cover I had. I also took apart the sewing machine and used some of the pieces on the "engine". Don't feel bad about the sewing machine. I used to collect them and this one was not in very good condition. I had tried to give it away several times and no one would take it. So now it's higher purpose in life is to become art. (Not a bad deal if you ask me.)

Here are some more details on it.

1. The wings are made like the others and are printed on an inkjet transparency and then colored with alcohol ink. The wings actually flap up and down thanks to a pair of cufflinks that I attached them to. (Those are the wire covered circles you see.)

2. The "power source" on top that is colored blue is an old bottle that used to have micro beads in. I colored it blue with alcohol ink and filled it with fake ice flakes to make it shimmer. The ends are caped with mirror eyelets I found at Lowes and a couple of brass coins from another country. (You can see the edge of the coins next to the copper collar.) The 2 green stones on each end are 2 more cufflinks that I cut apart and colored lime green with alcohol ink.

3. The "radiator" is a wooden slide mount that I covered with copper and then drilled holes to insert some mini brads into. It is backed with a piece of brass screening. Notice the fan to keep air moving on the inside of the radiator. I had to carve out an area behind where the slide mount fit to allow the fan to sit in. It also has a small gear that drives it with a belt attached to it.

4. The handle on the right is made from another cufflink and actually turns. It is attached by a head pin and an earring back to a decorative screw eyelet.

5. The large silver wheels and arm are the parts from my old sewing machine. (So is the knob on the side.) The other gears are from various watches that I have bought off of Ebay.

6. The 2 corner decorations on the bottom are made from polymer clay. I made a mold from the original metal one I had because I couldn't find those corner pieces anymore.

7. The 2 lights just above the corner decoration on the one side are from an old strand of christmas tree lights that didn't work anymore. (I colored them with more alcohol ink.) I found the copper sleeves in the electrical section at Lowes that fit them perfectly. (I have no idea what the copper sleeves are for.)

8. The leather straps took me a while to figure out how to attach them and make them like real metal loops. I simply took some heavy copper wire (Found at Lowes in the aisle where they cut wire for you) and bent it into a "U" shape. I then drilled 2 holes the right width apart and pounded them in.


All in all I am happy with the way this turned out. Now I just have to figure out where to hang it.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Texture Paste Tutorial


I finally got around to making the next tutorial. I was so wiped out from working on those steam punk items that I got behind. I think I may have to extend the date for the monthly techniques swap. Anyways this one is on using texture paste and I think it has some good stuff in it. (Be prepared though because it runs for 34 minutes.) Hope you learn something from it.



Since the video tutorial is so small it is hard to see the detail of these cards. For that reason I have included this slide show so you can get a better look at the texture close-up. (The cards appear in the same order as they appear in the video.)

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Digital Download

To download click on the picture to get a full size image. Right click and "save to" your computer desktop or a folder of your choice.



Well it has been almost a week and I haven't posted anything new. I have been working on the larger version of the "Dragonfly Engine" but this one is taking longer since it is about 4 times the size of the ATC version. It is more detailed because I can fit more stuff on it. Anyways it is time for another Sunday Digital Design. Here are some of the embellishments to go with the "Beach" set of paper.