Friday, October 23, 2009

Through The Eyes Of An Artist

Click on the picture to see a larger view.

I have been a little behind in posting my recent artwork to my blog. (Shame on me!) So here is another page for the circle journal called "Through The Eyes Of An Artist". These 2 pages are for Karen Mercado and they were are real joy to work on. I usually am a real magpie when it comes to piling on embellishments so I tried to keep that to a minimum so that the background that I spent all the time making would not get covered up. It was a 3 or 4 step process that I started on watercolor paper. I mixed up my own "glimmer mists" via the Tim Holtz recipe. (Click here to view the video tutorial I made with this technique and much more on metallic powders.) I laid down some Tattered Angels stencil masks and then I spritzed the "burnished brass" Moon Shadow Mists over both pages along with the teal and hot pink I mixed. Once I removed the stencil masks I then dabbed it with a paper towel because I didn't want the walnut ink based spray to be too dark. I then took a piece of sequin waste and placed it over both pages and sprayed the teal and hot pink again. After that I took white acrylic paint and stamped a few images on both pages. I then went over them with a small paint brush to make the white more opaque and stand out more. I then cut out some flowers from napkins and separated the layers so that only the top printed later was left. (I glued them down with Mod Podge.) Then to frame each page I went to my sewing machine and put on my "free motion" foot. (That allows you to push the paper/fabric in any direction without the feed dogs grabbing it and propelling it forward.) I did a series of curls by just eyeballing it with some dark teal thread. From there it was a matter of just gluing on the image, quote, flowers, fiber, butterfly and title.

1 comment:

crafty creations said...

Absolutely stunning Valerie - love all the elements you've added and in such an artistic way - beautiful