Thursday, October 15, 2009

Potpourri Lucky Dip

Click on the picture to see a larger view.
Once again Alison Brandist has come up with another wonderful swap. It's a lot like the previous Lucky Lady Dips but this time all the themes are describing situations instead of a "lady". I chose to do "The Scientific Mind", "The Contraption", "Fate & Fortune", and "Balancing Act". Here are some of the details on the cards.

1. The Scientific Mind - The "head" is a vintage anatomy drawing that I printed onto regular paper and also a transparency. The brain is just printed on regular paper and is sandwiched between the background image of the head and the transparency image. I stamped the bottom with Staz-On "butter cream" ink and then added the resistors, watch parts and wire.

2. The Contraption- This one is my favorite because it actually moves. If you grab the small handle on the upper gear and turn it clockwise the copper arm moves the bottom wheel back and forth. It's basically done on a sheet of thin brass with brads around the edge. I then glued various clock gears and watch parts to make all the "works". The bulb on the bottom is a christmas tree light glued into a bullet casing. The upper dial is one that I printed then I took a brass ring and glued some packaging plastic to the back of it and filled it with Diamond Glaze. (I glued the printed dial to the back of the plastic once it dried.)

3. Fate & Fortune - I took some miniature tarot cards that I had and sanded them all down to make them look worn and old then I rubbed Distress Ink on them. The image I happened to find on a vintage Halloween card and was hand colored with pencils by me. I rubbed Versamark ink around the edge of the card and heat embossed it with dark purple powder. It doesn't really show in the photo but I took some Fantasy Fiber and ironed it into a flat sheet and glued it under the "Gypsy". The crystal ball is a small glass lens that I backed with some clear iridescent ribbon and orange paper. I then added the rhinestones and dangles with copper chain.

4. Balancing Act - The image I had and cutting it out was tricky but I managed on the first try. The outside trim is all different pieces of German scrap. Some were black and some were gold so I had to rub them all with gold and black "Rub-N-Buff" to make them all the same. I stamped the words with Staz-On butter cream ink and added the rhinestones and chains along the bottom.

1 comment:

Janny said...

Really beautiful!